We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bank debit Charges

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just heard on the news the other day that Banks were thinking of charging customers for using direct debit payments etc.

Methinks they have screwed this country and their customers enough in the last 4 years without adding more charges.

I could not find where the source came from but it was from an on going enquiry.

Found this from may.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149626/Is-end-free-banking-Watchdog-calls-monthly-fee-ALL-accounts.html

So they must be thinking about it.

just wondered what you thought about it if it comes into force.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

".....So they must be thinking about it"

They've been thinking about it for a long time, but that doesn't mean it's about to happen. The government would have to intervene in order for all the banks to do this, and it would only work if all of them did it.

David Cameron isn't about to commit political suicide - there would be a massive fight, and a considerable backlash come polling time.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I already pay Bank Charges for my Silver Account with Lloyds, usually just under a tenner monthly - I pay all my household bills and most of my shopping by Debit card, but I am always in the Black and never use a Credit card.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I just thought that with the government interest in banks and how much they have paid to bail them out I would hazard a guess that they would be all for the charges.

I think the FE's comments about it being political suicide are spot on.

On the other hand if the Banks want to start charges has the Government the right to over rule them.

I know for a fact that if those charges do come about whatever small savings I have in the bank would be withdrawn and just enough left in to pay for direct debits.

fourm member

Thank You, It was Lord Turner's statement that I referred to I just could not remember his name.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As it is normally Companies who want their payments from Joe Public by DD then perhaps it is they who should pay any charges if they are brought in as payment by this method is obviously good for them from all the special offers they give you to pay this way.

Personally I can't see it happening as it is just one of the costs of running a bank like any other and will surely be reflected in interest rates they give or do no give.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

As direct debit payments are generally going to a business account, the recipient would usually pay a fee, so is there any need to also levy a charge on the person who is paying?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Having a current account with a bank provides them with a fantastic marketing advantage.

They know how much you earn and how much you spend and who you spend it with. This provides them with valuable information with which to target and cross sell other financial products. If you trust them with your finances, you'll trust them with other products they offer.

If only they hadn't been so greedy and at least ensured the products were appropriate to your needs they wouldn't be faced with all the refunds they are having to make.

Before being caught out they were clamouring to get your current account, offering free switching services and paying you monthly fees! I think some still do.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When the banks were being bailed out, there were many opportunities for the banking or financial rulebook to be revised, but it wasn't and hasn't been, and in all possibilities it will never be. Banks are greedy and they always will be.

In one of today's newspapers, I notice that another bank as become fodder for the media, and yet again, the CEO is saying how he is extremely sorry for what as happened, yet he personally cannot be held responsible?.

Recently on television there have been a number of programs regarding banks and how they are still dealing with customer's as they did before. Two such programs televised, was 'Bank of Dave', Dave Fishwick a Burnley businessman who had his own ideas and sheer determination to form a bank, even though the system (and possibly the old boys act) was all against him doing so.

The other program was 'Can you Trust your Bank?' on Channel 4 (23/07/2012) with Jon Snow. Both programs were real eye openers, and in the main people (business and general public) are still very disappointed by how they are being let down by banks and the government.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

"The government would have to intervene in order for all the banks to do this"

Why?

Would it just not be a normal change of Terms & Conditions, or are DDs subject to special regulations?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If the banks start to charge us (the public) for direct debits, I predict a mass 'exodus' (movement of Ja people - Bob Marley moment), and a general downsizing of personal internet and mobile phone use. (I've got 4 DD's that fall under that catagory.) I would pull the plug on the lot...no problemo.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes