We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which of the following devices will you use to watch the Olympics?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Never before has there been so many different ways to watch the Olympic Games. We want to know how many different ways you plan on watching your favourite London 2012 events.

Let us know. Poll: Which of the following devices will you use to watch the Olympics? (Select more than one option if applicable)

Like this post
tracyanne

Likes # 1

I selected Other; as in I won't be watching the Olympics, as I don't give a rats which athlete wins loses or has a hissy fit.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"which means that the biggest broadcaster has an obligation to devote it's main channel to the event"

But the BBC charter says that it must cater for minority interests.

Even if non-sport lovers are a minority, the BBC has an obligation, under its own conditions of operation, to consider them.

The trouble is it's not just devoting its main channel to the event.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"the BBC charter says that it must cater for minority interests."

It is morddwyd old boy, if you want to watch only the shot put, or only the javelin, or only the long jump, or only the ping pong, or only the apple dunking, the BBC has a dedicated channel for that minority;)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"But the BBC charter says that it must cater for minority interests."

The BBC does cater for minority interests, but nothing in the charter says that it must do so to the exclusion of catering to the majority.

We haven't hosted the Olympic games for a very long time, and it will be a very long time before we host them again. Surely for a couple of weeks every few decades the BBC can put the majority first?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Could any of the other TV broadcasters put as many channels of games on for the public, or is this one of the unique gems in the BBC's crown?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Surely for a couple of weeks every few decades the BBC can put the majority first?"

I hope the BBC always puts the majority first. Mathematically we are the ones who give it most of its money!

I was simply pointing out the counter argument that in addition to having an obligation to cater for the majority, they also have an obligation to cater for the minority, like the lib Dems!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

fourm member

Channel 4 has three channels it could use, (Ch4, E4, More 4) or even more if it splits out the +1 channels and drops the films from Film 4 for a fortnight.

As long as they don't make the mistake it did of the last Athletics event it covered and use a load of pretty faced, vacuous E4 talking heads...

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Don't think there is a more apropriate place for this so, further to my earlier comments, this is excellent:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/02/rio-2016-santa-claus-olympic-profit

You see, you're allowed to scoff a little and enjoy it a little too.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...has anyone noticed tonight the little black object fluttering on the main BBC TV shot of the Stadium...just before the results/placings scroll on screen?

It must be a fly resting on a spider's web, with the best seat in the house ;o]

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It's the aerial camera, on a string over the finishing straight

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad