We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which of the following devices will you use to watch the Olympics?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Never before has there been so many different ways to watch the Olympic Games. We want to know how many different ways you plan on watching your favourite London 2012 events.

Let us know. Poll: Which of the following devices will you use to watch the Olympics? (Select more than one option if applicable)

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

When I went to school we were glad to get outside in the fresh air in the local park, for a game of football or rounders or some form of athletic PT. But of course by the time kids get to school these days they are invariably overweight. We were underweight if anything because of a shortage of food. If you look at the black and white pictures of pre-war days and the few years of austerity after the war you can see that there were very few fat/obese/cuddly kids or grown ups. There were no objections from parents to their precious offspring being forced to do it. Religious reasons were not even thought about.

These days the youngsters who are interested probably have better facilities and better equipment. What is needed is for the parents of modern kids and the kids themselves to get off their backsides and take part. As well as cutting down on the weekly grocery bill. "Bring back rationing" I say! "Then watch the improvement in the health of the nation". Even the NHS would be relieved of its heavy burden.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As someone who grew up during rationing I can't honestly agree with your view that it should be brought back again. There wasn't just a shortage of many foodstuffs but often the right foodstuffs. I do however agree that many of today's youngsters are couch potatoes and I dread to think what their future longevity may be like. It could be argued that us war babies, who are now causing the Government such problems with our own longevity, might be a shorter lived phenomenon that many predict. Many of my father's generation died before reaching pension age and the next generation to come along are certainly living longer than expected.

I do agree that given a few minutes we were outside in all weathers kicking a ball around or chasing girls or anything that involved running. The few of us who could get our hands on a second hand bike were tearing round the streets on them which you couldn't do now.

MT has much to answer for by beginning the sale of school sports grounds and giving children the perception that being active and sporty was secondary to learning how to cheat people out of their money by becoming bankers ;-)

Mind you we didn't have PC's to keep us glued to our seats for long periods or even 24 hour TV.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

The bbc now have BBc three and BBc four,you watch the numptys will disrupt normal viewing on BBc oneto force feed us this olympic rubbish. now were digital we all have the four BBC channels but no they'll disrupt everything,i'm with virgin and there allocating goodnes knows how many channel extra for the olympics,as i said on my earlier post roll on the closing ceremony, then we'll have many years to pay the cost. Remember the "wonderful" millenium dome exactaly,the workd "Turkey" comes to my mind for the olympics.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

mole1944

Unlike the Millenium Dome, the Olympics have sold out most events. The only event that seems to have struggled selling is the football.

BBC Three & BBC Four don't start broadcasting until 7pm, as they're on the same multiplex as the kids channels (Childrens BBC & C Beebies) which turn off at 7pm. This means these two channels are no good for Olympics coverage.

You can be pretty certain that the Olympics will be the most watched program on TV for the next couple of weeks, so why should it be pushed down to a less popular channel.

On top of this, the BBC would have made assurances to the IOC that it would give prominent coverage to the Games, otherwise it wouldn't have won the bid to cover them.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

ALAN14 - "You can do any of the shooting sports in a registered gun club under supervision"

Have a look at these acts -

Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997 Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 Or if that is too heavy here is lighter reading ; - BBC - The Conservative government drew up legislation banning handguns above .22 calibre. But following their general election victory, Labour introduced the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997, which outlawed .22s as well. Org - at Bisley :- Can I shoot a pistol? No - not a standard pistol. That sport was taken away by the government after Dunblane. Our own Olympic Pistol competitors have to train abroad because of the legislation in this country. Wikipedia :- "Aside from special temporary exemptions for major events such as the 2012 Olympics pistol shooting for sporting purposes has been effectively banned since 1997. As a result, the GB pistol squad has to practice abroad.

Out of interest which paper did you read that we (general public) could still use/obtain suitable firearms?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Woolwell - a debate is allowing both/all sides to put their point of view - I don't get upset when others think the games are the best thing since sliced bread! "We already know who the competitors are and those outside EU will require visas. Their passports, etc will be checked on entry." The UK has one of the most sophisticated system recording its people from birth to death. Some of our families can be traced back to the Doomsday Book. BUT we are not allowed certain firearms - to practice Olympic sports. Some keen shooters have made arrangements to go abroad now and then for practice - but few can afford the time/money to do that on a regular basis.

Some other countries have,compared,very poor records and we have seen that our borders/controls are very poor/porous.We have even seen recently that a person was put on the "No Entry" list and he just walked in. The records may have been checked but if there are no or poor records there is little point. I have nothing against the other people who are allowed to partake - we should have had the same privilege?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

woody - At no time have I stated that the games are the best things since sliced bread. However I am beginning to get a bit fed up with the doom and gloom.
You seem to have moved from Olympics competitors to lax border controls for people coming to UK in general and not just to compete. I feel sure that the competitors weapons will be under strict control. Olympic competitors have to qualify so there will be good records about them but perhaps their family history details do not go back as far as in UK. "I have nothing against the other people who are allowed to partake - we should have had the same privilege?" What do you mean by same privilege?

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

alan14

1. "Repeat until it sinks in "we will not dig ourselves out of the recession without spending money""

Of course, but spend it on something sustainable - not a one-off 3 week event.

1. "On top of this, the BBC would have made assurances to the IOC that it would give prominent coverage to the Games, otherwise it wouldn't have won the bid to cover them."

So the IOC (and BBC?) are not confident that most people want to watch it either!!

1. "You can be pretty certain that the Olympics will be the most watched program on TV for the next couple of weeks,"

of course it will - it will be almost impossible to avoid it and a fair proportion of those watching will be the reluctant partners, sons, daughters etc.

1. "BBC Three & BBC Four don't start broadcasting until 7pm, as they're on the same multiplex as the kids channels (Childrens BBC & C Beebies) which turn off at 7pm. This means these two channels are no good for Olympics coverage."

This simply means that the BBC has NO channels which are suitable for Olympic coverage.

Sport at school was never made enjoyable for me - I was never any good and was forced to participate. I then became the butt of jokes (staff and pupils) for mucking it up). Had I been allowed to take part non-competitively (i.e. just for fun) then I might have learned to enjoy it.

Surely the whole point of sport is that it's for doing and not for watching. The doers benefit from it - the watchers get fat not fit.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

marvin42

So the IOC (and BBC?) are not confident that most people want to watch it either!!

Don't be ridiculous, a prestige event should be broadcast on the main channel, not pushed down the TV guide to number 804 or whatever.

of course it will - it will be almost impossible to avoid it and a fair proportion of those watching will be the reluctant partners, sons, daughters etc.

you only got one TV in your house? Does it only pick up BBC1?

This simply means that the BBC has NO channels which are suitable for Olympic coverage.

Why is that? BBC 1 & BBC 2 are on 24/7, so is BBC HD.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

alan14

"a prestige event should be broadcast on the main channel" Why? Are the sports fans not capable of changing channels?

"you only got one TV in your house? Does it only pick up BBC1?" So do people who want to watch Olympics send their disinterested family members to their rooms for the next 3 weeks?

"Why is that? BBC 1 & BBC 2 are on 24/7, so is BBC HD." Simply because these are the most watched channels and therefore showing sports deprives the majority of their 'normal' viewing. My mother, like many others, suffers from dementia and any change of routine is a bad thing for dementia sufferers - it frustrates and confuses them.

The arguments put forward if favour of blanket coverage on the main channels is basically "We want it so anybody who doesn't will have to put up with it and miss the programmes which they really enjoy". A somewhat selfish attitude, don't you think?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...