We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Officially Proving you are still alive and married question

daisy2bell
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi. Rather an unusual question.

I am retired. I lived for about 20 years in a European country, and receive a small state pension from that country. However,that county needs annual proof from a UK authority that I am still alive and still married in order for me to continue receiving this pension.

The only authority I can think of is "Births Deaths and Marriages".

Would I be correct, or has anyone any different solutions.

Thanks in advance

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Does HMRC give you a married person's allowance?

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

I would assume that a Notary Public would be the sort of person to provide your evidence.

Like this post
daisy2bell

Likes # 0

Thanks morddwyd and natdoor.

Married allowance only if one spouse was born before 6 April 1935, I'm not that old.

Notary Public, that seems to be something I could look in to.

Thanks again.

I'll keep this open in case there are other replies.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Department for Work and Pensions?

If they are still issuing you and your spouse a pension they must assume ou are both still alive :0)

Like this post
daisy2bell

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat

That could be the answer

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

What about a solicitor? You can swear an affidavit and the solicitor witnesses it. You may find that will be acceptable. It's easy, cheap, and quick.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Notary Publics charge a lot for a little. You should ask the pension provider to inform you which authority in your area is acceptable to them. My father in law has to show his face at the Goethe-Institut in Manchester once a year in order to continue receiving his German Army pension.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I wouldn't hold out much hope with DWP. When I turned 65 they said they had no record that I was Married, even though in the early days we had Married persons Tax allowance before it was abolished, and also Child tax allowance. I had to take our marriage certificate into a Job Centre to prove that we had in fact been married for 35 years at the time. All they did was take a photocopy of the certificate and letter. It made a big difference to the amount of Pension I was entitled to claim.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have to do the same as I have a small Dutch OAP. They send a form and I go to the local council office, ask for the electoral roll section, who put their stamp on the form confirmimg my wife and I are alive and kicking - free, no problem.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Your next of kin will have the job of notifying all the necessary authorities when you peg out too. So make sure you leave details of these things handy for them to do so. It may save them problems later on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK