We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bradley Wiggins a true hero...

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18948830

this man's achievements [alone] have boosted Team UK's medal hopes.

Well Done Bradley!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

But lets not curse him with the poisoned challis of high expectation. As far as he's concerned he's won better that Olympic gold. Winning the Tour de France is the greater blue riband prize of the two.

But I think he'll do OK though.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Well done Bradley on a magnificent achievement. But I don't think that he is a hero. The word hero has become devalued in recent years.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

It is about time that some perspective was put on this. Yes a wonderful achievement from a great cyclist but it was also a team effort. The way the Tour is run no one single competitor could win it now without the backing of a team who allow leaders to slipstream for much of the race thus saving huge amounts of energy.

Bradley seems to be more level headed about this than much of the press.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

I hate to burst everyones bubble on Bradley Wiggins,but he is not british he was born in belgium,that does make him british however long he has lived in britain.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

His nationality is British despite being born in Ghent, Belgium. http://www.teamsky.com/profile/0,27291,17543_6636468,00.html

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

His father, the cyclist Gary Wiggins, was Australian. Whilst he was born in Ghent, his mother moved with him to London when he was three, after she split from his father.

He has British nationality through his mother.

From all accounts his father was a bit of a rotter who got involved in drug deals. He was beaten to death in 2008, reported by a drug gang...

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

I stand corrected

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Bradley Wiggins a true hero..."

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't he just a bloke with a yellow T-shirt riding a bike, and getting paid and sponsered for doing so?.

No doubt someone, somewhere as suggested an OBE or Lord/Sir ship for outstanding achievements?.

Better get my coat :O)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

He's already got an OBE. A knighthood has been suggested.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I did say "Excuse my ignorance" ;o)

Personally I think there are far more deserving cases, than getting over excited by a sports-person, whose doing what they want to do.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......