We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bradley Wiggins a true hero...

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18948830

this man's achievements [alone] have boosted Team UK's medal hopes.

Well Done Bradley!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Just to clarify what a hero is.

To me a hero does an outstandingly courageous/reckless act of reasoned/un-reasoned logic/madness for the benefit of another/others.

Wiggins has practised an outstanding act of personal determination and perseverance for his own benefit.

Well done to him, but not of a hero status.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Oh how typically British some of these posts are. The guy has just cycled 2,732 miles or 4,397Km to you younger folk in 21 days. Well done I say.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Qickbeam

Perhaps not so much a 'true hero' or worthy of a medal. But she did her charity proud as well as those that know her?.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17967948

Perhaps a pity that Virgins Richard Branson had to step in though?.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Any man Who can win one of the three big tours (Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta d'Espana) has the greatest respect from me. Twenty-one years ago doing a twelve hour time trial did for me, comprehensively!

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'Well done I say.'

I'm not denying that, or being guilty of being British. He's done very well, and will continue to do so for a while yet.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

My daughter was born in Singapore. But as far as I know she is British even though she also has a Singapore birth certificate to go with the British one. Whether she could appear in a sport for Singapore I know not but somehow doubt it. Many thousands of British children were born in Singapore to British service people.

Incidentally I was present at the birth which happened to co-incide with the Chinese New Year celebrations. I tried to convince my wife that the fireworks were for her. Now I tell that to my daughter who is 43 years old.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers