We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do a lot of others find all these PCA and other Mag website ADs damn annoying?

Jwbjnwolf
Resolved

Likes # 0

One thing thats always annoyed me about PCA website is how all the ADs are, how much have been put on the site.

I know IDG have adverts obviously to make profit like with any company, but compared to a lot of other websites, PCA and a number other mags such as Computer Active have about 2-4x the amount of adverts compared to other sites.

A website with a decent amount of ADs is eHow

The amount that eHow has put across their site is far less than here, and they do not get in you way, clog up the site.

How PCA and a number other mag websites have done it, the ADs are everywhere.

It's not too bad on my mac because on the screen is big, and two, its powerful, but on a computer like my netbook, which is a small screen and low powered, these ADs really get in the way plus waste a lot of power that shouldn't be necessary for a website to use which means it isn't a very smooth experience browsing PCA.

Netbooks and lower powered machines are annoying enough how much they lag browsing websites compared to higher powered mid-range devices, so why does all these Mag websites such as IDG sites have to have this massive amount of ADs?

At the side, at the top, all over the page, in-between website elements such as the comment box and thread etc and then sometimes in-between paragraphs on reviews/articles. I know you don't entirely have control over the ADs, but surely you do on the placements of these ADs and not go really over board with them.

PCA is the best best designed forum website in my opinion, don't offer too little or too much features, but the amount of ADs all over the place, its a big let down.

And how PCA got the currys/pc world ad at the side which moves with you done the page, thats a death trap for low powered machines.

Not in a mood or anything, sorry if the way I've wrote it sounds that way, I'm just addressing this out, as I'm sure it isn't just me lol. And even my mum and a few others that I've got to come onto PCA have moaned about these ADs as they are a nuisance.

I know, I know, if you could get just as much profit that you get with ADs without ADs, you'd make it AD free, but sadly not the case lol.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 1

Forum Editor

"Hands up everyone who would pay £10 a year to stay registered with us."

I would be prepared to pay a small annual subscription to have an ad free site!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

But who would be prepared to pay a subscription charge, then offer to volunteer their time and services for free in keeping a site running?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"But who would be prepared to pay a subscription charge, then offer to volunteer their time and services for free in keeping a site running?."

That's the point in a nutshell.

What most people who post here really want is a discussion forum - that's what we're talking about when we discuss ads, etc. People who arrive asking for help of one kind or another aren't that bothered about ads because they are here for a specific purpose, and may not come here again for a while,or not at all. Our regulars are made up of forum members who offer help and advice, and/or take part in discussions. They represent a small (but significant) minority of the total number of people who register. Lots of people come and read the news, the tutorials, the reviews, etc.etc., but never participate in forum discussions. That they come here, and in large numbers, is indicative of the fact that the ads are not all that much of a deterrent as far as they're concerned.

It's a big subject, this thing about subscriptions, and it's fraught with all kinds of complications.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

To be honest I never see the popup ads many people complain about. The other ads around the page are largely ignored, just like I ignore ads on TV, and in magazines, at bus stops etc.

I have Chrome v20

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

After reading all this, suddenly reminded me of adblock extension for safari, and PCA works MUCHHH better, as a moment ago it was literally crawling through the site and scrolling was painful, but all fine now.

But I wish PCA would show up in the centre the window like it should do instead of at the far left lol

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 1

Jwbjnwolf

What you're getting is how the site looks if you run adblock in Chrome, and that's to be expected as they're developed from the same Wedkit engine.

I think Adblock takes away the ad that runs down either side, so the main window slips to the left

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Ok, I understand now.

Cant believe I been using safari all this time and I completely forgot I didn't have adblock in safari lol.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

A bit of sense is called for with the ads though, as having obtrusive ones will eventually yield the same result as everyoen using ad blockers would.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

To sense, I should add respect for your users. Afterall, no users, no point in advertisers.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

To which I might add 'no ads, no forum' It's a vicious circle - we have to fund the sit somehow.

That said, we certainly don't want to upset our forum members, and if a particular ad is intrusive we'll do something about it. Just let me know if that happens, and if enough people are of the same mind we'll act.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...