We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Just another gun massacre...'

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

Was how it is being talked about on the TV this morning, but will it create a serious gun control debate in America?

NO, I thought not. Their precious right to bear arms constitution must be guarded at all cost.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Your getting somewhat increasingly cynical lately fm...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"there was an element of bravado entering into it"

"It the de rigueur response by anyone who objects to gun control."

"when you're there you hear lots of that kind of thing. "

Given all these things, there are over 250 million privately owned guns in the US.

Even if only one percent of the owners of those guns feel strongly enough for it not to be bravado (and I suspect that is a big underestimate, and does not include the crazies) that's two and a half million guns being used to defend their "rights".

It'll take more than the National Guard (many of whom, I suspect may well be among them, particularly in the south) to control that sort of a protest.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Chegs

There as been very few amnesties in this country, and the last one in my location of the country brought very poor results, over the very short period of time the exercise was allowed. Memory doesn't quite serve at the moment, but it was most likely have been 20 years ago now?.

I was involved with that exercise, having the task of collecting and recording the items on a daily basis from a number of police stations selected. Plenty of kitchen knives of the carving type, a few home made coshes and knuckle-dusters, the odd BB or broken airgun, a couple of WW1/2 items, a small array of martial art implements, some used or active shotgun cartridges, a couple of catapults, peashooters and water pistols, but nothing in the major league of firearms.

One of the major problems was the location of the collecting containers (wheely type bins with a slot cut in the lid, length of chain and cheap padlock), which where in full view of a security device or 'front desk' person in the reception areas of the police stations used in the exercise. This 'possible identification process' might have put some people off?.

On one occasion, a person brought in a Claymore type sword, but couldn't put it through the bin slot, so it had to be handed in at the counter. Had the person left the building with the sword, they would certainly have been stopped. I would add, that sword came in for a few theatre dramatics with the staff, before it was collected.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spuds - There was a nationwide gun amnesty in the spring of 2003 which reportedly took in over 20,000 weapons.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Woolwell - Your comment prompted me in doing a Google search, it would seem that it was about 1996, to the exercise or amnesty that I was thinking about. I retired not far longer after that.

A number of searches that came up and might be of interest to others to the time you mentioned. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2986179.stm and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2988157.stm

Another that might be of interest http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10220974

I also found a Wiki item titled 'Gun Politics in the UK' very interesting and rather lengthy. It also includes gun politics in 17 other countries. Apologies for not providing a link, the PCA site refuses to accept underscores on links!.

But going back on an earlier statement that I made, the various governments seem to all have the same not correctly thought out ideas regarding this gun law issue. A typical case is that you cannot own a 3/6 cartridge 'pump action' shotgun, yet you could own a 'bolt action' shotgun capable of firing 3/6 cartridges (after a minor diy modification). Both capable of doing the same killing or maiming task?.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Arms race

As expected, gun registration applications rocketed in Aurora over the weekend, so instead of one person shooting many, next time we'll have dozens of deaths as people are caught in the crossfire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18980974

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...