We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Just another gun massacre...'

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

Was how it is being talked about on the TV this morning, but will it create a serious gun control debate in America?

NO, I thought not. Their precious right to bear arms constitution must be guarded at all cost.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

As an occasional clay shooter, I just use a club gun on the day. I've never felt the need to own my own gun, although if I used one more often it would be more convenient to have my own, but I don't fall into the macho firearms class in any way.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Is it the case that our species is 'instinctively violent' and that the methods used are as much opportunist as they are planned.??

A rock or stone is as valid as a knife,gun or bomb in pursuit of this goal. Whether it is one or 6 million it is not the statistic we should be looking at,like the media too often,but the tragedy.

Granted that in this case the killing,as in other mass killings,is pre-meditated but most appear to be random events.He appears to have set out to kill a number of people but in other instances it is a spur of the moment event,a family member or friend/colleague/stranger.

The peculiarity of America is its continued history of 'serial killers'.

One day its the front page and a few days/weeks later its a footnote,until the next event then more of the same anti-legislation and pro-legislation.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Morddwyd,

Certainly not suggesting you are lying!

But a bunch of guys, even without alcohol are very likely to display bravado to impress their mates, or not to be left out or out done.

Add some alcohol into the mix and the talk may not be as rational as it would otherwise be.

Lets sober them up, put them in mixed company in a jury situation and see if their attitudes alter.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Don't hold your breath oresome.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Noldi

Most if not all police forces use civilian staff in their firearms departments, and have done for years. Its usually the head of the department, who is most likely to be at Inspector level who does the 'final approval'. Most people assume that a firearms department, 'firearms officer' is a police officer or an expert on the subject of firearms, but this is not always the case.

I once knew a civilian 'firearms officer' who was actually a brothel keeper in his spare time. When that was found out, there were a few red faces about!!.

I believe at the present moment (as was in the past,when 'police approved' gun cabinets came into play), items like home gun cabinets are required to be 'fixed secure'. But this doesn't stop the cabinet being screwed to a wooden floor. If the inspecting officer deems this to be 'secure', then that's it, as far as the inspection report goes.

There's also the problem of a 'true' identification or possible manufacturer's registration mark on a firearm, which can be easily faked or substituted?.

There are still massive flaws in the UK gun laws, and the criminals and possible members of the public well may know this?.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Quickbeam - "macho firearms class " Did you see many in that class at your shoots?I think not in the UK. To be expert you need your own tools - for a bit of fun you can use anything.

Oresom - "You should go and see how other people across the world live - USA is a great place - don't just go and sit on a beach - speak/meet the locals.

Just a little story to show how they (USA) differ from us - I was in a gun store looking at a saddle which had been tooled and inlaid - it was beautiful - I had looked at it and handled it very carefully.

A foreman came in with three cowboys looking for a saddle for a new/young addition to the team. The young person immediately saw "my" saddle and said he liked that - "when you pay you can have that when I pay you get what I want" -the foreman stated.The foreman then climbed onto a saddle - they where on wooded displays - and stood up in the stirrups and kicked down with all his might - just like it would happen out on the range . Happy days.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

If you take all the arguments about gun control to it's next level you would find that here in England, Ireland and Scotland we are worse for gun crime than in America.

Add up all the weapons in public hands in America then add all the weapons in England , Ireland and Scotland and you come to the conclusion we are far worse at controlling our emotions than the American people.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member you would argue ifs its night or day, in America there are over 260 MILLION guns in private ownership how many in this country 30000 thousand, 60000 thousand.

On those sort of figures the gun crime rate in America should be over 100 times more than it's here and what is it, 8 times our rate.

Your argument is ridicules,

"Because guns are tightly controlled or illegal in this country people who do have them are far more likely to use them."

How can you come out with a statement like that with out any proof, so according to your idea we should take guns away from ever body because they are all maniacs if they want a gun.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Just explain why gun crime in America is only 8 times the figure for this country but they have over 500 times the guns.

It's not the gun it's the idiot or maniac pulling the trigger that does the damage and it doesn't matter how many guns you ban the crazy will always find one.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

carver

I think your last post about sums it up, with addition that it would apply anywhere in the world.

I recall the days here in the UK, when items like shotgun's were a regular mail-order catalogue item. All you had to do, was to state was that you were over a certain age. I wonder how many of those gun's are still lying around, forgotten and have not been accounted for?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia