We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Just another gun massacre...'

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

Was how it is being talked about on the TV this morning, but will it create a serious gun control debate in America?

NO, I thought not. Their precious right to bear arms constitution must be guarded at all cost.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps I am in a minority of one here, but can someone explain to me why an incident of this kind draws out all the anti gun brigade?.

Is it not just as easy to kill en-mass, by using other means?.

Another point of the equation, is that quite a number of other countries allow people to have and hold quite legally, firearms for self protection. Its not just America, yet some people seem to choose to ignore this fact?.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Spuds

What other means do you have in mind.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The American love affair with guns, and the right to own them is buried deep in the nation's psyche. It goes way back to a time when there was no effective federal law enforcement system - people routinely carried guns, and often used them to protect themselves and their families.

Go into any bar in small town America, particularly in the Southern states, and you'll find the frontier spirit alive and well - woe betide any white House administration that tries to stop the man in the pickup from owning and carrying his hand-guns and rifles. I've met and talked to these people, and believe me, they will not give up the right to bear arms without a fight.

Millions of guns are in the hands of ordinary people, and every now and then someone develops the kind of mental instability which results in killings like the ones we're discussing. It will keep on happening, and it seems that nobody can (or will) do anything to stop it.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

Few other weapons allow you till kill people en masse without close contact.

Yes, he could have barged into the cinema with a machete and killed a few people, but exhaustion would kick in before he'd killed many people, and not many people have the stomach to kill people up close. A gun allows one to stand back, pull a trigger and let the hot lead do the job.

Yes, he could have used a bomb, but that would take planning, and prior entry into the premises to plant it. A suicide vest would do a lot of damage in a packed cinema, but this guy doesn't strike me as suicidal, or he wouldn't have handed himself in.

Like Anders Breivik, I think this guy has a message for us all...

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Alan14, I have never even raised my voice to my wife - let alone considered your suggestions! For defense in house - intruder - a reliable revolver is better than a semi auto and no way can I think a full auto would be a weapon of choice in a home.No jams and no need to spray your room.For those with no skill - a shotgun is the tool. When a semi auto is the best choice you keep a number of mags and have a routine of throwing away a mag before it gets tired. Now I will be "Devils Advocate" look around any large city shopping centre in uk today - how many of the people you see would you agree to have a firearm!

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 1

It's a strange thing this obsession with firearms! I used to be a keen target shooter and owned three handguns. I surrendered my firearms certificate after the Michael Ryan and Hungerford incident.

My son was just over a year old and I no longer felt comfortable having guns in the house. After the Dunblaine killings personal ownership of small-bore and full-bore handguns was banned and ownership of rifles and shotguns were heavily restricted.

Firearm ownership in the UK is the most heavily regulated of most western countries, but it did not stop the Cumbria shootings by Derrick Bird in which he killed 12 and injured a further 11 people before killing himself!

You cannot legislate against the actions of a madman!

Since these occurrences the metropolitan police have had a dedicated unit set-up to investigate the large incidence of gun crime within the black community in London, the legislation restricting gun ownership has not stopped young black men from killing each other and innocent bystanders on the streets of South London!

As for America, gun ownership is so much a part of that society that it would be a virtually impossible task to remove them from it!

They have sown the wind, they are now reaping the whirlwind!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

bremner. I have in mind any vehicle, aircraft, ship or even chemicals, explosives to name but a few. All are capable in various forms or circumstances and confines of killing (en-mass if necessary). And all would be available to anyone, who may become involved in these or any other type of deaths or injury, accidental or otherwise.

alan14. "Like Anders Breivik,I think this guy as a message for us all...". And what would that message be?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Flak999. What you have mentioned, brings a question to mind. After the 'supposed' recall of many firearms through the incidents you mention, I wonder how many firearms still remain in the public domain and are not accounted for. I would suggest possibly in the thousands!.

Those recalls were a knee jerk reaction by the government, and were not very well thought out, and I think recent UK incidents proves this!.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"No bravado, no statement to camera, just a bunch of guys, of which I was one, sitting around shooting the breeze over a beer."

"With respect, I think this comment needs to be taken with a pinch of salt!"

I'm sorry you think I was lying.

I was there. Just a reasonable bunch of average people, all in their fifties, all with families, no rednecks, no reason to chow off, and so far as "beer talk" went, I think we had about two each over a four hour period (understandable, as it was Budweiser!),

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Gun owner ship laws here and USA, just returned from 3 weeks working in southern USA and wow what can you say, following a bus with a big advert across the back, a bikini clad young lady hold a semi automatic rifle with a ammunition belt across her chest with wording visit xxxx gun store and try before you buy, go into a bar and oh your from England want to fire a machine gun come on come with us we know a place. I own a Shotgun and the UK licience laws are now tight on the person applying or renewing a licience, storage of guns and ammunition are tight and have to be checked before a licience is granted, these checks are now weighing the police firearms departments down and delaying processing renewals and are causing pople to be owning a fire arm without a valid licience (of which i know of several at this present time) but contact your local firearms officer to be told don't worry your renewall application is submittied, this brings about another problem that because you need to produce a valid certificate to purchase ammunition then you have to stock up on several hundred and if your a regular competition shooter 1,000's of round of ammunition. I now read that some police forces are putting these personal checks out to private company's and this worries me a little, because my local firearms officer knows most of us over several years of bumping into each other at shoots knowing owners of these shoots etc, this makes off the record information being passed to the officer if you have any concerns over a persons gun handling or behaviour and this won't happen but this is how policing has changed generallyno local bobby with his ear to the ground if a national company takes over. The answer as with a lot of the UK police is keep these things in house and employ more personal even if this causes an increase in fees for us shooters its got to be better than a farming it out.

Noldi

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks