We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Just another gun massacre...'

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

Was how it is being talked about on the TV this morning, but will it create a serious gun control debate in America?

NO, I thought not. Their precious right to bear arms constitution must be guarded at all cost.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't think that you can understand the American gun ownership mentality until you have been there. Some years ago I visited a homestead in North Carolina. The only place I have seen more weapons was in a military armoury. The weapons ranged from high power rifles to crossbows all used for hunting. None of them locked up and ammunition everywhere. In a city in Virginia I was invited for a meal and after the meal the host casually pulled out his revolver and asked if I would like to handle it. I asked if it was loaded. Oh yes was the reply, any ...... (expletives deleted) who comes over that fence uninvited is dead. Road rage takes on a new meaning when someone shoots the other. If you are stopped by the police whilst driving in the USA, do not get out, keep your hands, clearly in sight, on the steering wheel otherwise the police are likely to assume that you are going for your gun.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Whst summed it up for me was in a Walmart in Florida on a Sunday I could not buy a bottle of Budweiser but could buy a Glock 17.

To a Yank God does not want you to drink but does want you to shoot.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I'd be a lot more worried about you shooting if you'd been drinking.

They also have many accidental shootings.

But then Canada has, if anything, more lax gun laws.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

When visiting my son in the States a few years ago, the local TV network interviewed a local sheriff after a shooting had taken place during a robbery/break-in. The intruder was shot dead and the sheriff thanked the householder for his propmt action and commended him for his bravery in facing down the intruder. Over there you know exactly what to expect if you are daft enough to commit a robbery and it's no good playing the human rights card. Over the xmas period, ONLY 3 people were killed in that county that year !!!!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

The best or worst part of this is that the same people who will shout out about needing better gun laws will also be the ones who don't agree with the death penalty.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

No bravado, no statement to camera, just a bunch of guys, of which I was one, sitting around shooting the breeze over a beer.

With respect, I think this comment needs to be taken with a pinch of salt!

A bunch of guys, beer and no bravado?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

No bravado, no statement to camera, just a bunch of guys, of which I was one, sitting around shooting the breeze over a beer.

With respect, I think this comment needs to be taken with a pinch of salt!

A bunch of guys, beer and no bravado?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

oresome - where did that comment come from. Is it a link I haven't read?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Here is a question for the anti gun chaps - if your family was at risk would you pick up the best "attack/defense" tool you could find or would you just appeal to his better side?

The Americans think their family comes first and plan ahead.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

woody

A gun in the house is far more likely to kill a family member than an intruder.

Think domestic argument, no gun in the house the most deadly weapon is a knife, not as easy as you think to kill someone with a carving knife. When there's a gun in the house a heated arguement can soon end in tragedy.

To my mind it's much better to make a house difficult to break into than to carry deadly weapons upon your person.

Another thing you should consider as well, if you keep an automatic handgun at home, you should keep it unloaded, as a magazine kept full of bullets for long periods will misfire, as the spring will become permanently depressed - no good keeping a weapon for home defence if it won't fire reliably

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015