We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Just another gun massacre...'

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

Was how it is being talked about on the TV this morning, but will it create a serious gun control debate in America?

NO, I thought not. Their precious right to bear arms constitution must be guarded at all cost.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Another quote I heard in defence of the constitution was 'This cinema has a ban on hand guns, if they didn't, it wouldn't have been as bad...'

I should just point out that that was an ironic statement for the benefit of any readers in Tombstone.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

President Obama, in this election year, should take the bull by the horns, and do SOMETHING about it.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

If you had any understanding of the US you would know that the very last thing Obama would want to do in an election year is to try "and do SOMETHING about it".

Even the slightest suggestion of gun control would hand Romney the presidency overnight.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Private ownership of guns is a sacred cow in america, much like the price of gasoline. There are some things that politicians meddle with at their re-election peril.

WTM

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

One of the many many great lines in the Simpsons has Lisa Simpson crying out "Don't they realise the right to bare arms is merely permission to wear short sleeved shirts"

Like any addict, they find any excuse, no matter how irrational, to justify their addiction...

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Why does it have so much coverage on the UK news program, other countries such as Mexico or Honduras, to mention a couple have mass killings far more often but hardly get a mention.

Yes this is a sad incident but but it is not an uncommon event in the USA so coverage should be proportional.

As Forum member points out 60,000 Mexicans killed in the last 6 years with barely a mention on the News channels of this country.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Guns do not kill, it's the person pulling the trigger who kills and it doesn't matter what gun laws you have you can't legislate for the crazy or insane.

We must have the toughest gun laws in the world but people still get killed or injured by some one pulling a trigger and isn't Sweden of all places up amongst the top 20 for gun killing per head of population.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I seem to remember that Switzerland ranks pretty high.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I seem to remember that Switzerland ranks pretty high."

Yes, but in Switzerland all the reserve members of the army, and there are lots, keep their military weapons at home, so guns are actually widely available.

I remember listening to some Americans debating gun control (not on TV, I was with them) and the statement that got widest support was "Well, if they want my gun they can come and get it, but it will have an empty magazine and a smoking barrel"

No bravado, no statement to camera, just a bunch of guys, of which I was one, sitting around shooting the breeze over a beer.

It's one of the facets of the American psyche that we in Britain will never be able to come to terms with.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The massacres in Mexico are part of the ongoing drug war, and are so common they're not really of much interest to the news media.

Maybe if this guy hadn't been able to buy several guns quite legally over the counter, and if he hadn't been able to buy thousands of rounds of ammo quite legally over the internet, this wouldn't have happened, but the republicans, and the NRA (a major republican donor), choose to think otherwise, and whilst they hide their heads in the sand more innocent people will die...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...