We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympics on TV

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I notice the BBC has opened a whole slew of dedicated Olympics channels.

That's good.

That means the news and the other BBC channels won't be dominated by the Olympics.

Doesn't it?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Open golf is on now BBC for 11 hour stretches per day - no breaks - I'm not complaining...I've just got the one TV on(with sound)...such marvellous commentary from Alliss & Co.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I just heard GOLF will be in the next Olympics and the Beeb have secured TV rights till 2020...alas NADAL has pulled out of the Tennis, so he can't defend his olympic gold because of a knee injury.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

morddwyd, You're biting as heartily this morning as those damned foreigners did in '48...

marvin42 If we reduce the 46.4% to a generous (in your favour) quarter (for the sake of an arbitrary argument), for those that watched most (if not all of it), it will still be much higher than any other single audience at the time for normal tripe time TV. And don't forget that most people watching soaps are also yacking to some one on the phone, to someone in their living room, or flicking through Hello or knitting or dosing or something or another else as equally tedious at the same time!

Not many people actually sit and watch TV with anything like 100% attention for normal banality TV, mines as low as 10% most of the time.

However most sports viewers do give close to 100% attention to the event being viewed. The exception of course being cricket, whereby you raise your eyes from reading The Times after the sound of a moments action reaches your ears, and you see it for the first time in the action replay, and then you resume with reading your Times.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

QB

I knew you were only joshing. but my remarks still stand a s a general observation!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What else is there to do on yet another dreigh summers day:)

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Quickbeam my quote was taken from your link and shows that the almost 50% of those who watched over 1 minute, "viewers watching a minimum of 20 consecutive minutes of coverage, the 2010 tournament reached nearly a third of the world population" which is a reduction of a third of those watching between the first and twentieth minute. And how many of those were 'enforced' watchers as their partner insisted?

As a fully paid up member of the grumpy old sods club, I find the constant disruption to 'normal' programming irritating. Fortunately I am able to offset this to some extent by winding up the sports fanatics in discussions like this.

Having said that, I am still very concerned for the (even more silent) minority like my mother (see my post of 6.13 yesterday) whose distress, anger and frustration are very real and have a definite adverse affect on their health and state of mind.

In my experience, sports fans tend to have tunnel vision when it comes to events like these and this can make them somewhat selfish. Surely the coverage could be on BBC 3 or 4 or somewhere which doesn't have such a significant effect on others. As has been said, pretty well all of us have a wide choice of channels today so why not give everybody the opportunity to choose their favourite programmes without inconveniencing the 'majority'?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Somebody mentioned the extra BBC channels are available only on the Sky platform.

They are FTA (free to air) and unencrypted from the few I tuned in last night. (I have a satellite receiver not allied to any broadcaster).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think that the BBC's major concession to the normal, is that the broadcast time of The Archers will remain unchanged for the next 5 decades.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The 'Archers' will no doubt have their say about the oh-limpicks ... a publick service...make no missteak.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"I think that the BBC's major concession to the normal, is that the broadcast time of The Archers will remain unchanged for the next 5 decades."

On that we can definitely agree!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room