We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympics on TV

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I notice the BBC has opened a whole slew of dedicated Olympics channels.

That's good.

That means the news and the other BBC channels won't be dominated by the Olympics.

Doesn't it?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Is a 1TB PVR enough to record the entire Olympics in case you should decide you could be missing something good after all?

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

"There aren't many more important things, and once it starts, I don't think anything short of a great disaster somewhere will overshadow the Olympics."

This is not a reflection of the level of interest but only of the media hype. Unfortunately, the media don't seem to understand that ANY sporting event is a minority interest.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'Unfortunately, the media don't seem to understand that ANY sporting event is a minority interest.'

Viewing figures for the 2010 World Cup and that's one of the major events that I didn't watch!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"ANY sporting event is a minority interest" - what a sweeping generalisation. The FA Cup Final was watched by 10.95m in UK, Grand National about 600 million around the world, etc. Sporting events are not a minority interest and nor will the Olympics be. If they were minority interests then tv would not show it especially those supported by advertising.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Quickbeam "46.4 per cent of the global population, based on viewers watching a minimum of over one minute of coverage."

So less than half the WORLD population watched for more than a whole minute.

Woolwell

10.95 million is less than half the UK population. 600 million is less than one tenth of the world population.

So a minority interest - QED.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Mathematically you may be correct but I don't think that many will consider the Olympics to be of minority interest.

I really don't understand the "Victor Meldrew" grumbling about this. Is there nothing better to do than grumble about sport being on TV?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Is the BBC the only broadcaster?

There can't be many people who still only have the standard five terrestrial channels, so watch ITV, or Ch4, or Dave for endless Top Gear and Man vs Food repeats - or go to the library to borrow a book or two.

My god, it's three weeks, surely you can find something else to occupy your time rather being glued to the idiot lantern...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It must be the 'gambler' in me ... but I invariably only pay heed to a televised sporting event if I've got a vested interested in the outcome.

My local bookies are rubbing their hands together in anticipation ;o]

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

"My god, it's three weeks, surely you can find something else to occupy your time rather being glued to the idiot lantern"

Many people have their viewing schedules disrupted by these events. My mother, who is 93, very frail and virtually housebound and suffers from dementia, struggles to get the right channel of the 5 she watches and becomes very distressed if she can't find "her" programme. She's already had a lot of stress courtesy Euro 2012 and now will have another 3 weeks courtesy of the Olympics. All due to a minority interest. Hopefully some common sense will prevail and we won't have over 3 hours of the same thing on both BBC1 and ITV1 at the same peak viewing time.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"surely you can find something else to occupy your time rather being glued to the idiot lantern.."

Yes but why should I?

My viewing preferences don't disrupt those of the sports lovers, so why should theirs disrupt mine?

As I said, each to his/her own. Why should one section dominate?

The BBC have announced no less than 24 new channels dedicated solely to the Olympics. I have no complaints about that, even though my licence money is helping to finance it, but Isn't that enough for those of you who like it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more