We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympics on TV

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I notice the BBC has opened a whole slew of dedicated Olympics channels.

That's good.

That means the news and the other BBC channels won't be dominated by the Olympics.

Doesn't it?

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I really long for the days when all these atheltes lived in tents, ran on grass tracks and swam in sea lanes-didn't cost much then and I reckon they set a better example for doing so. Maybe some sensible person will bring back the The Simple Games

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

The BBC have announced no less than 24 new channels dedicated solely to the Olympics. I have no complaints about that, even though my licence money is helping to finance it, but Isn't that enough for those of you who like it?

Those channels will only be on the Sky platform, for those of us who don't wish to give Murdoch any money we're stuck with Freeview.

Really, is it too much to ask for the biggest event this country has ever hosted to be broadcast on the primary TV channels?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I can just remember the 1964 Olympics as a 7/8 year old, back when we only had two (BBC2 may have been around then, but we didn't get the required high tech 625 lines TV until 1966) channels to pick from. My first thought was no Blue Peter, no Thunderbirds, no Stingray, what's going on! But after I'd got over the shock of something different, I quite enjoyed the events, the production of which is nothing compared to today's instant slowmo multi angle replay technology.

It may yet inspire some young budding couch potatoes to get up and out, but above all, it's not the end of the world is it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

marvin42 "46.4 per cent of the global population, based on viewers watching a minimum of over one minute of coverage."

Well, if we're going to be that pedantic, how is the remaining 53.6% broken down between the many remaining stations and the very varied subject content compared to the 46.4% single figure for a single event?

Figures, statistics and damned lied are said to be one and the same thing, are they not...?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

When the games get underway I will have four TV's tuned in, so as I don't miss a thing...but I will switch the sound off as the BBC commentators tend to give me a headache!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Really, is it too much to ask for the biggest event this country has ever hosted to be broadcast on the primary TV channels?"

Firstly it isn't, secondly I'm not asking for it not to be broadcast, but simply for other things to be broadcast as well.

For instance, Thursday, BBC 1 and BBC 2, Olympics 7.00pm until 10pm, Friday 7.00pm until 00.30am, Saturday 6.00am until 1'00am the following day, with the odd break for the news, Sunday 6.00am until 5.00pm and 7.00pm until 1.00am.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get my meaning. That is overkill on a grand scale.

Part of the BBC charter is to cater for minority interest.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

From 7pm there's BBC Three & Four, which will be catering for "minority interest", I imagine they'll be switching the Parliament channel over to other uses as well

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Part of the BBC charter is to cater for minority interest."

Can we establish just what the minority interest is first, is it the sports fraternity as according to marvin42, or is it the grumpy sods fraternity as according to morddwyd?

I'm losing track a little here, the grumpy sods seem to be wanting jam on both sides of this cake before choking on it!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"the grumpy sods fraternity as according to morddwyd?"

And there you have the Olympics fans opinions in a nutshell.

If you don't have any interest in the Olympics you're a grumpy sod.

No tolerance, no room for compromise, no room for other views, you'll have it whether you like it or not.

I'm not asking for them to be banned, or even scaled back by one jot, I'm simply asking for a slightly bigger share of the broadcasting spectrum.

That does not make me an anarchist.

I wouldn't mind, but we've been through it all before. All those damned foreigners coming over in '48, eating our food when we were still on rations!

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Quickbeam "marvin42 "46.4 per cent of the global population, based on viewers marvin42 "46.4 per cent of the global population, based on viewers watching a minimum of over one minute of coverage."

Well, if we're going to be that pedantic, how is the remaining 53.6% broken down between the many remaining stations and the very varied subject content compared to the 46.4% single figure for a single event?

Figures, statistics and damned lied are said to be one and the same thing, are they not...? of coverage."

"viewers watching a minimum of over one minute" is a very relevant phrase!!

As for the grumpy old sods - yes, I'll happily admit to being in that club where sport is concerned. However, I still hold that there is a significant number of people like my mother who will be extremely distressed by an enforced change in their routine for reasons they don't understand.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers