We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympics on TV

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I notice the BBC has opened a whole slew of dedicated Olympics channels.

That's good.

That means the news and the other BBC channels won't be dominated by the Olympics.

Doesn't it?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What and have antiques, cooking, house makeover, daytime chit chat etc, etc, etc still hogging primetime TV when we are having our 15 minutes or rather two weeks of global fame?

Dream on...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I sometimes wonder if I've woken up on another planet.

Of course the news will be about the Olympic games - we're about to host the biggest show on earth, whether you like it or not.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[we're about to host the biggest show on earth,]

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/16/speakers-corner/4157834/olympics-on-tv/#ixzz213RL74tI

Copied and pasted the top part from the FE and somehow the bit underneath appeared as well.

All I was going to add was it will probably be the most expensive show on earth as well.

I am all for it using dedicated channels for the news that way I can stay clear of them.I like watching the news programs as I have not a lot else to do during the day but keep up with the news.

Thank goodness I can view some of the US news channels as there are more important things in the world today than the Uk Olympics.

Also the state of the world today I think the UK will get less visitors come to watch the games that they are expecting and all I can see is a large financial mess at the end of it.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

morddwyd On BBC Newswatch a week or so ago, the head of BBC news said "BBC 1 will become an Olympic and news channel". As only around one third of the population (recent BBC survey) are interested in the Olympics, the silent majority will have to put up with it as we did with Euro 2012.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'm mighty glad the golf has centre stage on Auntie Beeb ... phew! ...that was a close one!

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Thank goodness I've got a 1TB PVR...I've been stocking up on TV series, documentaries, dramas etc for weeks in anticipation of there being wall-wall sport on all channels, for the next few weeks

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

fourm member

TV program on about some of the rooms available.And some of them were in a pathetic state.So everything not that rosy for visitors.

All I am implying is because Financial state of the world today we will probably get less visitors than we were expecting.

I think £650 million it was going to cost for the security alone and that was last month before the lack of Security personnel was announced.Goodness knows what it will cost now.

My doom and gloom forecast may be wrong but only time will tell.

I am all for dedicated news channels for the Olympic news coverage as there may be millions wanting to watch them but there will also be millions that don't want to watch them.I am afraid I am one of the latter.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...as there are more important things in the world today than the Uk Olympics."

There aren't many more important things, and once it starts, I don't think anything short of a great disaster somewhere will overshadow the Olympics.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"whether you like it or not."

And that, of course, is the problem.

Tens of millions of people will enjoy the Olympics, and are looking forward to every minute of it.

I have no more problem with that than I do with Formula 1 or football. Each to his own.

However tens of millions will not enjoy the Olympics, but will have to put up with it "whether we like it or not".

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

"However tens of millions will not enjoy the Olympics, but will have to put up with it "whether we like it or not"."

Which is why the good Lord invented 1TB PVRs!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today