We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The benefits of Eton and Oxford.

natdoor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I listened to the BBC news at 1.00 pm today. I quote the Prime Minister: "That is what drives the Deputy P.M. and I".

Hopefully most of you will see the basic grammatic error in that statement. So this is what we get for an education at Eton and a 1st in PPE at Oxford. No wonder that grammar is generally so poor when the privately educated are so useless at it. Some might suggest it was a slip of the tongue but the correct use of the personal pronoun should be so ingrained that its correct use is automatic. And this is no unusual occurrence. It happens daily with people who should know better.

Ok. I know I am pedantic but I will not accept the defeatist mantra that the use of our language is changing and that if enough people use an incorrect construction it becomes the correct form.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"No wonder that grammar is generally so poor when the privately educated are so useless at it."

Think about what you've written....

Firstly, it's a sweeping generalisation - you make the assumption that 'the privately educated' are all bad at grammar, and that can't possibly be true.

Secondly, you say 'no wonder' that grammar is generally poor when the privately educated are so useless at it. What possible connection can there be between a poor general standard and the fact that some privately educated people have a poor command of grammar? It's a nonsensical assumption to assume that one follows the other.

Thirdly, for goodness sake, does it matter? Worry about something that's really important, not this that isn't.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

FE

On your first point, observation over many years has given me ample evidence that a private education often does not result in an ability to construcy grammatically.

On the second, one would have hoped that the privately educated would be able to set an example to the rest.

Thirdly, in my view it does matter. It matters to these people, Queen's English Society, too.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I did not spot the erratum grammatica.

Like this post
gardener

Likes # 0

FE,

Are you seriously suggesting that grammar doesn't matter? Or am I misinterpreting your post?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

"Thirdly, in my view it does matter"

Me too.

We are all quite rightly proud of our tolerance of idiosyncratic spelling and grammar on this forum, with none of the nit-picking pedantry you see elsewhere, but a public speaker in a public place should be able to get it right.

This man's business is words, and the presentation of them, and it shows a lack of professionalism in his job. If he's sloppy here he may be sloppy elsewhere.

I wonder how many teachers have been busy explaining to the students that the PM is wrong and they, the teacher, right?

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...again, I ask, wot was the clanger ?

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Would you say "That is what drives I"? The inclusion of the "Deputy P.M." makes no difference to the need to put the personal pronoun in the accusative because it is the object of "drives".

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

If he's sloppy here he may be sloppy elsewhere.

I don't think there is any doubt. He is sloppy elsewhere. Think choice of press officer and choice of riding companion for example.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

thanks natdoor. I suppose 'me' would have been better.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Not only better but the only correct choice.

If you wish to engage in further analysis of grammar, perhaps you would like to attempt to see if you can deduce the reasoning behind my assertion in the last paragraph of the final post in this thread modern grammar query.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...