We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympic Road Lanes

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I see that those of you in London are getting extra traffic restrictions in the way of special Olympic road lanes

From the link it says "the authorities had plans to lift the restrictions on the Games Lanes if there was gridlock." That seems a bit of a gross contradiction of intention. Isn't the whole point of Olympic lanes to create a freemoving traffic flow for the Olympic officials and competitors and avoid the Atlanta Games fiasco where competitors were in danger of missing their events?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bremner

I have no doubt that there will be all kinds of stories like that, there always are, wherever the Olympic Games is staged.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Some of these restrictions are in force for 24/7,so london will reap the reward in fines.

There is also the case of restricted turns,left or right ,again in force 24/7 and cab drivers have just been allowed to stop in designated Olympic lanes for passenger collection or drop off,5 lanes to be exact.

Also along various routes buses could no longer be allowed to stop so passengers have a long walk,disabled or otherwise.

Was this drivers glass half full, inevitable no doubt but a major embarrassment.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I intend to make the most of what will be a once in a lifetime experience"

Bit like being bombed in Ulster then!

There are experiences, and then there are experiences!

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

It seems the writers of the brilliant Twenty Twelve wrote the some of the script yesterday.

The Times today reports that one of the reasons for delays in getting the competitors from Heathrow to the Olympic Village was that Sat Navs provided to the drivers had old maps that did not have the Olympic Park on them.

Of course these things have always happened but it does not mean we can't raise a chuckle.

I predict that this will be one of the best run games ever but really worry that much of what has been built we become white elephants.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Bit like being bombed in Ulster then!"

What a ridiculous comparison.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

"What a ridiculous comparison."

No it isn't.

A once in a lifetime experience is a once in a lifetime experience, whether it be the Olympics, going into space, getting a hole in one in golf or stepping on a mine in Kandahar.

Such experiences are not strictly limited to pleasurable ones, but some people still make the most of them, as Simon Weston has shown.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I think we both know that you're trying to justify what was indeed a ridiculous comparison. Please don't make it worse by ploughing on.

I refuse to believe that you are incapable of recognising the difference between the Olympic Games and being bombed in Ulster.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I think we both know that you're trying to justify what was indeed a ridiculous comparison. Please don't make it worse by ploughing on."

I'm not but I won't.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

1966 is a suitable comparable once in a lifetime event...:)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The Taxi drivers are up in arms today as they are not allowed to come out of lane to either pick passengers up or drop them off.

So why not allow them to use the Olympic road lanes and save all the hastle that they are bound to create.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad