We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympic Road Lanes

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I see that those of you in London are getting extra traffic restrictions in the way of special Olympic road lanes

From the link it says "the authorities had plans to lift the restrictions on the Games Lanes if there was gridlock." That seems a bit of a gross contradiction of intention. Isn't the whole point of Olympic lanes to create a freemoving traffic flow for the Olympic officials and competitors and avoid the Atlanta Games fiasco where competitors were in danger of missing their events?

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I for one am happy that restrictions may well be lifted under certain circumstances> I work in London. The thought of gridlock due to the lanes is a nightmare.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I heard (on radio4) that athletes are arriving now and over the next few days (at least 11 days early) to avoid any traffic jams that will undoubtably occur.

But, normal everyday London commuters will have to suffer MAJOR delays over the next month, no doubt.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A truly Olympic queue...

"and cyclists - who use the lane face a £130 fine." How will that be enforced via video technology other than by an investigation on the scale usually reserved for murders seeing as cycles don't have registration plates?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"normal everyday London commuters will have to suffer MAJOR delays over the next month, no doubt."

No doubt we will, but I'm still looking forward to the games - I intend to make the most of what will be a once in a lifetime experience.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

what will be a once in a lifetime experience.

I keep seeing this comment,be it referring to the torch or olympics themselves & wondering why it would be a once only event as the olympics are every four years.If it was a once only event,I'd be happier as I wouldn't have been around for the first olympics and have to cease watching TV or listening to the radio to avoid hearing the media constantly banging on about security issues,traffic issues etc etc.The majority of the athletes from the UK will never be heard from again after the event,a few will reappear when they receive their award from the Queen then vanish once more.

In one of the linked stories,Boris is saying London is ready,in fact readier...yet I see workmen still involved in the building of the olympic village are on site.So which is it,London is ready...or will be eventually?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I hope that all of the London black-cab taxi drivers have been issued with the official Olympic 5 Rings stickers / decals to stick on the roofs / rooves of their vehicles, so as to avoid any confusion (from the air).

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I just thank my lucky stars that I will be nowhere near london for the duration of the games. The very existence of these lanes along with the mindset that produced them is an anathema to me.

WTM

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

A member of the USA team that arrived at Heathrow today has tweeted hat it took their coach 4 hours to get to the Olympic Park because it got lost!!!!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Chegs ®™"

".....wondering why it would be a once only event as the olympics are every four years"

For most people it's probably the only Olympic games that will be hosted here in their lifetime.

"The majority of the athletes from the UK will never be heard from again after the event,a few will reappear when they receive their award from the Queen then vanish once more"

Dear me, your glass is certainly half full, isn't it?

"So which is it,London is ready...or will be eventually?"

As far as I'm aware we're ready. I'm sure there will be people putting finishing touches to things right up to the start of the opening ceremony, but yes, I think London is ready.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen