We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another Chief Exec Who Doesn't Know What's Happening

oresome

Likes # 0

G4S boss Nick Buckles only realised a few days ago that a £280 million contact to supply security services for the Olympics was going belly up.

Understandable I suppose. He must be dealing with contracts of this size everyday of the week and the odd one or two are bound to slip through the net.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Many years ago I did part time (Weekends) Security work for Securicor. You got a large bunch of keys and a van and were expected to visit numerous premises and turn a key which were hung in parts of the building in your paper tape machine. I spent most of the time with an A-Z trying to find the places and then hunting down the keys. Back at base the most intelligent forms of sentient life appeared to be the German Shepherd dogs. One weekend I had one round to do with a dog, we had a great time as this Killer Guard dog was only interested in chasing sticks in the Park. On the way home he showed his gratitude by giving me a big hug with his forepaws over the back of the drivers seat and sticking his tongue in my ear.

Like this post
Kev.Ifty

Likes # 0

Grey Goo Who has the better name now? Securicor or G4S?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There was a program on television the other week about this, and it would appear that the original contract awarded two years ago was for about £28m.

Going on some further media reports, it would appear that there are some incidents of whistle-blowing going on, about shortfalls regarding language barriers, training, accommodation and transport provisions plus further security and safety concerns?.

Jeremy Hunt seems to be making a bit of a joke about the whole issues, and appears to put the problem down to 'as commercially expected'. Perhaps this is the type of politician we do not need, and certainly not in a crisis?.

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

They reckon there arent enough troops left in England to cover security...what do we look like to the rest of the world, what a total shambles.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

With the continuous drip type cutting of our armed forces, they are very lucky that we still have a few left to help out. But if the fire bobbies suddenly decide to go on strike during the Olympics where will they get the troops from that usually cover for them?

Winston Churchill will be spinning madly in his grave right now.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps as an echo to Kev.Ifty (post July 15 2012 @ 12.34AM) and QuizMan (post July 15 2012 @ 10.01AM)?.

It would appear that quite a number of colleges around the UK have been involved in training courses for this event through a 'Bridging the Gap' Scheme. This was a free 4 day course which trained potential recruits to HABC Level 2 in Door Supervision (QCF), and on completion of the 4 day course, possible recruits were provided with certification to this standard.

A college in my area undertook to provide a local training facility, but out of 300 trainee's who attended the course, only about 50 have received instructions from G4S so far, and the rest are still waiting for further information from G4S. Apparently since this issue was raised, G4S have made a statement that "We would like to reassure students involved in the Bridging the Gap Scheme that they will be provided with all the relevant information in the next few days" - " We sincerely regret any inconvenience and frustration caused by delays".

It was also suggested that accommodation might be in the form of cruise ship's or 'other' available facilities!.

If you are one of the people involved, who are seeking information, then an email address as been provided http://[email protected]

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It as also been mentioned that some of the security staff, have apparently been instructed to take particular notice of people having non-sponser items on them (drinks etc?), because some of the sponser's are not happy about advertising possible other manufacturer's products?.

The above as had to have a rethink?.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

One of the people spuds was talking about was featured in my local newspaper - she is 18 and had done the 4 day course. So we're entrusting the security of stadia full of people to inexperienced 18 year olds who've done a 4-day course.

In case anybody's thinking that the military personnel drafted in will also be a similar age, I think they'll have undergone a little more than 4 days training in a classroom at their local college.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Be careful what it says on your T shirt!

If it mentions a brand that isn't a sponsor, you won't be admitted.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

A wheelchair basketball player from my old hospital which has a spinal injuries unit, and who actually plays basketball for the junior National team was told by LOCOG that despite having tickets for the closing ceremony of the Paraplegic Games, he couldn't attend as there was not room for his wheelchair.

Enough said!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes