We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would it be better to teach our 11 year olds English & Maths

hssutton
Resolved

Likes # 0

Or discuss when it's appropriate to use foul language.

When is it to say the F word

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Schools should stop faffing about with social engineering and get on with ensuring their pupils are numerate and literate. There should be a general non swearing rule, with no time to debate such issues in class unless the school is meeting all its achievement targets. If there is spare time a bit of fitness training would be better than this idea.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

The real problem is, morals have declined to such a degree, it's now commonplace to hear adults (who should know better) swearing at preschool children in public.

What chance does the child stand?

Children will listen and absorb what is going on around them. So for them, swearing is part of the Queens English.

No one who knows me would call me a prude and I have been known to let rip on occasions, but I'm guarded when I'm in public or in front of children. I just don't think it's right to expose them to foul language. No more than I would write something intentionally on here that could be regarded as crude. It is after all, a public platform.

Sadly, a generation of individuals have evolved, that can only resort to swearing to emphasise their frustrations. But in some cases, it seems to be in everyday conversation. Those individuals have a complete lack of language skills and therefore, it would be a valid argument to say, proper teaching of English, should be a priority, with emphasis on swearing as being unacceptable. Sadly for many, that's already too late.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

"Sadly, a generation of individuals have evolved, that can only resort to swearing to emphasise their frustrations. But in some cases, it seems to be in everyday conversation. Those individuals have a complete lack of language skills and therefore, it would be a valid argument to say, proper teaching of English, should be a priority, with emphasis on swearing as being unacceptable. Sadly for many, that's already too late."

To me that sums things up perfecly. Whenever I visit my brother-in-law the "F" word is the most common word used and that includes his children. I find this most embarressing especially as my daughter is usually present.

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I noticed, yesterday, in my local crowded 'old man's' pub[The Georgic, Glasgow] there was a petite 'swear-box' sitting proudly on the drinks' gantry....over the time of imbibing in a pint, I observed that no profanities were uttered. (...average age of customer being about 65)...the barmaid (aged about 18) looked out-of-place.

Like this post
Shopgirl

Likes # 0

AithBEE you must be an old man. If you are sitting in the old mans pub.Lol. I think that a lot of children are going to high school not gaining the basic English and Maths thats needed. My son was well educated when he went to high school. And is now attending college.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Shopgirl - I moved along to a young man's pub where it was 51p cheaper for a pint...a sensible move...I am still in the innocence of youthhood BTW! :o)...and I don't swear.

Like this post
Shopgirl

Likes # 0

AitchBEE drinking alcohol is not good for your health. Not good for your pocket too. Plus not good for your weight. (beer belly condition )

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I totally agree, Shopgirl. (but Pubs would go outta business).

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Getting back to the subject...I would endorse the mass movement of all UK children (who are fit to travel) on a trip to China or Japan (for a dose of manners). 2 years would suffice.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...slightly uplifting and at the same time, unsettling, on the bus, a little girl of about two-and-a-half standing up on the bus seat, next to her mum, in front of me, was operating a blackberry; she was in control...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes