We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would it be better to teach our 11 year olds English & Maths

hssutton
Resolved

Likes # 0

Or discuss when it's appropriate to use foul language.

When is it to say the F word

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Unfortunately it's not 1956 anymore, where you'd would be sick with worry if the bus conductor carried out her threat to tell the headmaster that you'd said 'bugger' on the school bus. School kids are full of swearing in everyday life now, on the street, in front of the elderly, in front of their patents, grand parents etc.

So yes, they do need to discus when it's appropriate, it might make them think for once. After all it's not as if the words are new to them, is it...?

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

But surely it's not swearing if it's appropriate language?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's the appropriate-ness that is in question.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Not that I'm a prude though, I've just had a Friday night out with friends that would have had the ears winced off of an old maid... but it was appropriate as no old maids were present!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Asking the children to grade the words & appropriate usage would perhaps lead to a reduction of foul language in school,but only by those who actually understood the reasoning behind this lesson.The parent in the article spouting "I don't swear in front of my children..." cannot possibly be so naive to think this has any bearing on whether their child hears swearing.I recall hearing children approximately 4yrs old swearing about 35yrs ago,and many other occasions upto present day have heard youngsters turn the air blue.I don't particularly like hearing youngsters swear but there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

To misquote Isaac Asimov - Obscenity is the first resort of the illiterate.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Maybe the school was trying to tackle a problem head on and make the children think for a change. It just puts in writing a conversation that parents should be having with their own. Many kids these days do not realise that some words are offensive to others (or even know their meaning) - it's no good just telling them not to swear when they don't know what the swear words are. I remember my 4 year old asking me why his grandma had told him off for saying 'sod off' to another small child (that was in 1979)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Training to become professional footballers?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

When I was growing up I never heard my father say more than "damn" or "blast" in front of his family and I followed his example - yet at school I used the whole range of swear words from mild to downright obscene.

It was when I was 18 years old and I was able to play darts with my father in his local pub that I heard him use the f word as he missed double top and it reinforced to me that in some situations it was OK to use words like that and in other situations it wasn't.

That lesson was emphasised to me at school when, quoting from a J B Priestley book that we were reviewing (it was about a soldier coming home from the war), I quoted the word "bugger" that the soldier had spoken. I was hauled in front of the headmaster and threatened with expulsion if I ever did such a thing again.

Even in extreme circumstances I have never used the f word, or worse, in front of my wife or daughter, yet with male friends and my grown up son that is not the case.

So my view is that the school should only be emphasising what the parents should be teaching at home, that is that swearing obscenities is acceptable in some social situations but not in all and swear words should be restricted as a common courtesy. Am I a prude?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

chub_tor - You're not a prude but using courtesy and respect for others.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers