We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Bomb detector' maker Jim McCormick faces fraud charges.

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18795651

Have I missed something here. He sold £52M quids worth to Iraq alone, he claimed the device could detects bombs a kilometre away and no one thought to test his claims?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I remember the furore that this caused in Thailand when it happened 2 years ago. Half the Thai army seemed to think it worked while the other half said it didn't. The half that said it worked were of course the officer corps who spent millions on it and had to save "face" which is so important in the far east.

One of the local Universities took it apart and said it was not much better than a diving rod to which the officer corps said we can't allow your findings as you have broken the agreement we have with the company that we will not look inside the machine due to patents.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I was not commenting on Jim McCormick's guilt or otherwise. My question is why had no one tested this thing. It seems odd that if there is so much as a fleck of lead is found in paint on a child's toy then immediate sanctions are put in place and quite rightly so. But here we have what looks like an expensive bit of junk and no one thought to take the trouble to test it to its absolute limits.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Someone has and he was ignored.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

My previous posting has an error in that diving should read divining

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......