We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's wrong with PCA Site - or is it me?

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

All afternoon I have been getting the message that the site is undergoing maintenance. Now I find myself continually being logged off.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

That's interesting. I didn't know that you could 'unresolve' a post.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I subscribe to the magazine. I try to help those in need on the site and to post items of interest when I find them. However, along with many others here, I am getting sick and tired of the poor performance of this site and now being consistently logged out. For years it was a stable, functional facility; but then it was decided to upgrade it and all the problems started.

PLEASE PCA get the site back to the sort of reliability we once enjoyed and then stop fiddling!! Excuses of 'modernisation' and 'maintaining user security' really do not cut the mustard after months of failures.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Test post

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The only way I have been able to access the site since the data migration has been to change my user name by adding an *

What I would really like to do is revert to my proper name but when I try I get the message that the name already exists.

Any idea how I can do so please.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It must be very difficult for the people behind the scenes testing not only database integrity but also the equipment, software, the whole caboodle.

Why are people trying to alter profiles and the login problem etc before techies've had a chance to fix it?

At the same time fighting off managers wanting updates on situation, leave them be and let them do the testing/fixing needed. They can have the post mortem after. Okay the site update went a bit wrong - it happens - buy doughnuts.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

bremner - I suspect that you now have 2 log ins. Have you tried the old one today?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry I think I've got it wrong - ignore my previous post.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

To go straight to login with your details already filled in so all you have to do is click 'Login' and then Helproom will open.

www.pcadvisor.co.uk/account/login/index.cfm?action=login&email=TESTatTEST.TEST&password=TEST&originurl=%2Fforums%2Findex.cfm%3Faction%3Dshowforum%26forumid%3D1

TESTatTEST.TEST is the email address you submitted to join and the next TEST is your password you use to log in.

The '1' at the very end of this URL - yes, the bit after %3D - specifies the forum. (all you have to do is hover mouse over links on page and look in status bar at bottom)

1 Helproom 29 W8 28 W7 23 Windows Vista 2 Consumerwatch 18 Networking 21 Digital Home 24 Mobile Phone 26 Games 25 Business 20 Beginners 16 Speakers' Corner 13 Webdesign 27 Beta Testing

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have no problem with my details, they are always OK, all I have to do each time is click on Log In (top-right), then click on Login again - it always works, just a little niggle having to do it each time one comes back to this Site.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Last night, even though it kept asking me to log in, it was at least "remembering me". Now it's not even doing that again. Suppose it's a case of being patient, but does seem a bit "one step foreward, two back"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes