We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Weird and Wonderful Names. Good Article

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've just read this article and enjoyed it. Made me wonder if anybody on here has a wonderful unusual name and is not too ashamed to disclose it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18723463

I hope the link works. Don't stop reading the article at the picture as I nearly did. There are a couple more paragraphs.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My brother was christened Cornelius but we all know him as Neil.It gets complicated when he has to sign cheques with a C.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Rumplestiltzkin is a hard one to beat ;o]

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

When I joined the RM , one of our squad was one David Balls. Being an extrovert, he would amuse us by making a small mistake in drill, and the DI 1 would shout "You - number 3 in first rank,what is your name?" the whole squad were given extra drill when he shouted back: "Balls, Colour Sergeant!" , causing a big laugh. A school friend was John Thomas Painter-Brown..

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The legendary jazzman Louis Armstrong was also known as 'Satchmo' 'cos of his voluminous trumpet-blowin' cheeks!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

john bunyan. I have heard of a joke about a private soldier by the name of "Darling" But I can't quite remember it. Something similar to your tale of Marine Balls. I expect he got the nickname "Big" in the Corps. Of course these days it would be "Golden".

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

AitchBEE. I thought you were zipped up. Mind you I think it would take a satchel mouth size zip to do that job. Sorry wrong thread.....

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Being named after pencil lead is quite unique, more so than after a character from Planet of the Apes...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

My own name is pretty unusual, even in Wales.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

We had a bloke at work whose surname was Dyke. The 'Naughty word' filter on the system kept throwing out his Emails as unacceptable.

Like this post  
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

My sister was in infant school & the Teacher was compiling a list of the parent/guardian of everyone in the whole class.As the teacher worked round the class asking each child,it was producing lots of giggling until the teacher snapped out "for goodness sake,you should only laugh if it's something really silly like Frederick or George" My sister was next & revealed my Fathers names "Frederick George" :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...