We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Weird and Wonderful Names. Good Article

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've just read this article and enjoyed it. Made me wonder if anybody on here has a wonderful unusual name and is not too ashamed to disclose it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18723463

I hope the link works. Don't stop reading the article at the picture as I nearly did. There are a couple more paragraphs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think the Red Indians have some of the most fascinating names

Here's two: Eapalekthiloom (mound of clouds) or Eskaminzin (big mouth)

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

The "Bubbles" I knew got his nickname because of his head of curly hair. Named after the advert for a certain bath liquid.

I also knew a bloke with the surname "Bastard" but if I remember correctly he insisted it was pronounced differently.

I like the "man with the white leg" name...

Charles Dickens' stories seem to come up with some strange names too.

I often wonder what would have been the result of the Beckhams having a child born in Timbuktu. I suppose that has a certain ring to it.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bingalau

The late lamented Bubbles W, RIP. It was the Pears soap portrait by that name by Millais.

There is a B'stard surname.

I had better not get on to some Chinese names - I photographed one on Cafe in Sibu in Sarawak "Fu Kiew To" and a few censored ones.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I think that its been suggested that the Beckhams might name their children from the place where the child was conceived?.

Pity the poor child if they had been conceived in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll (Llanfair PG). I suppose they might have settled for Gwyneth or Dia ?.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Some parents are thoughtless ... or just plain cruel Mr and Mrs Peacock named their new son

Drew

Drew Peacock

No sniggering now please.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...