We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Weird and Wonderful Names. Good Article

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've just read this article and enjoyed it. Made me wonder if anybody on here has a wonderful unusual name and is not too ashamed to disclose it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18723463

I hope the link works. Don't stop reading the article at the picture as I nearly did. There are a couple more paragraphs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

spuds, don't let them ferret it out of you. spuds you are and spuds you'll be on here ;-)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Lotvic Quite right. He may be Mr Head.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

My guess is that he has an Irish name... and a good one to be sure ...to be sure.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

But I did think we would get some unusual surnames. Come to think of it "Geldof" is probably an unusual one.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I knew someone who was called Robert Roberts. The hymn, associated with Welsh rugby, Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer was written by William Williams.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Bingalau, did you look at my link? now that's a partnership made for each other ;-)

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Yes looked at your link, but don't think I shall be putting any of my business their way.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Mxyzptlk

...he may be from Welsh stock (no vowels in his surname).

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I knew a Bastard who used to boast the he was a Real one.

Nick names are pretty interesting, I knew a chap called Love and his nick name was Bubbles, his rank prevented the obvious question.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I once had someone who worked for me whose last name was Muchanagumbo which roughly translated into "man with the white leg." Without getting into John Terry land his leg was certainly not but I often wondered how these names came about.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room