We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If we had rain like this the press would go into meltdown

interzone55
Resolved

Likes # 0

BBC Link

100 dead in Russian flash floods, puts our drizzle into perspective

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

We (in Britain) have not had a 'drizzle'!! Britain has had the wettest June...and possibly the wettest July & August (to come) ever. Russia is about 100 times the size of Britain (in Area) and extreme weather is to be expected.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The size of land mass has little to do with it.

In 1953 the North Sea flood caused 1,836 deaths in the Netherlands and in England, 307 people were killed. A major flood caused by a heavy storm, that occurred on the night of Saturday 31 January 1953 and morning of 1 February 1953. The floods struck the Netherlands, Belgium, England and Scotland.

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

1953 was a very bad year!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14's 'headline', comparing another continent's weather 'fingerprint' to ours, is tantamount to comparing apples with grapes!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm not comparing the weather, I'm comparing the result of the weather...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14...I get the drift of the point you are making.We don't know how luckky we are living in the British Isles...we have a temperate climate.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Do you think you could collect your thoughts before posting four times in an hour? The deaths of 100 people in flash floods isn't something to dismiss with 'extreme weather is to be expected.'

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It's now 144 dead, but the headline is lower down than the M4 being closed for repairs, because not being able to get to Heathrow is way more important than whole towns being wiped out...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

We all think it's pretty bad when we see flooded out people on the news from our cosy living rooms, but the despair that they suffer comes close when you see it first hand to people that you know as we did locally 5 years ago when we had serious local flooding. So I can genuinely feel for these people in Russia.

Nobody ever wants to be near a serious flood in their life, they will have to restart from scratch, and that'll take years, not months it took here with their flooding.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"they will have to restart from scratch, and that'll take years, not months"

I often reflect on how fortunate I am to live where I do when I see these conditions elsewhere.

Not just UK floods, though you can perhaps relate more to p[laces that you know, but wildfires in Colorado, earthquakes in Haiti, volcanoes, hurricanes and all the rest.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room