We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If we had rain like this the press would go into meltdown

interzone55
Resolved

Likes # 0

BBC Link

100 dead in Russian flash floods, puts our drizzle into perspective

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Any paper that had its page 1 lead about the floods in Russia rather than Andy Murray playing tennis would be asking to lose readers."

Precisely.

I was in America on the day of the London bus bombing. The next day I picked up a copy of the local (Arizona) newspaper. The front page news was about a local water shortage; London bus bombs were buried at the bottom of one of the inside pages.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

A few years ago both Carlisle & Cockermouth experienced severe flooding,with the loss of lives but neither were on this scale.After the Cockermouth floods,many bridges were damaged & the town of Workington was cut in two.It took months for the roads to reopen.In Carlisle,the Police Station was closed for almost 2yrs.In both towns,residents were living in mobile homes for years whilst their homes were repaired.This is in the UK where there are many agencies to assist,I doubt the same would apply in Russia.As for media coverage,we're still getting articles in the local paper refer to the floods in Cockermouth.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes