We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Parcel delivery - why is it such a problem?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am expecting a package from Amazon - they are replacing a faulty Kindle, and they played their part by despatching it the day after I spoke to them. The usual efficient Amazon service working as it should, until.....

The courier called at my house, and I was out. My wife was out, so a card was left - 'we'll deliver again tomorrow'.

The next day, I was out, but my wife stayed in for the delivery, except for fifteen minutes when she had to dash to the pharmacy. While she was there, the courier called. Another card, saying 'your package is being returned to Amazon'. A hurried email from me, asking for another delivery, resulted in a promise to redeliver on Saturday, and this time one of us will be there at all times.

I can't fault the courier (Thank you, Citysprint) or Amazon - we're the culprits, my wife and I, but we're not alone; apparently 12% of all home deliveries fail first time, costing the Courier industry (and indirectly all of us who use it) an estimated £1billion.

It's a growing problem and I was wondering - should those of us who regularly have packages delivered have a special 'package box' bolted to the outside of our houses, along the lines of the old bank night-safes?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

BT

"I find that stuff from Amazon usually comes pretty fast by ordinary Royal Mail."

Yes, it does, but I had no choice in this case. When Amazon sends you a free replacement Amazon decides how it will be delivered.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Waiting for a parcel delivery is annoyingly restrictive, even if you are normally in all day.

Going to the toilet or vacuuming or hanging washing out can easily mean you miss the door bell (or the short knock on the door as most couriers seem to ignore the bell push at our house for some reason).

With M&S, we have items delivered to a local Simply Food store. It's free and more convenient to collect from there than wait in all day.

Amazon on their free delivery terms in my experience tends to deliver quicker than they indicate which is a pleasant surprise providing you happen to be in.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Perhaps the future will bring a new era - the shops that currently take in parcels from the end user (returns) will also take in parcels from the original supplier. If you look at London stats on ( Police.Uk) for crime - GOOD GRIEF ! No wonder we need "ground to air" around the stadium. I thought it was for something else - now i see they are for cutting normal crime in the area! Even compared with other big cities - you can see the problem with leaving anything weighing less than ten ton!!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I just noticed while coming out of Staples that they are a parcel drop off point for DHL. Maybe the couriers could do a deal with local stores with decent warehousing space to act as collection points too.

To work, when you order your online goods, you tick either a home delivery box (which will require you to be in as we know), or you can tick for the shared delivery drop off address.

To over come the security aspect, you register the shared drop off address with your debit/credit card provider as an authorised alternative delivery address. And you also get at the point of online delivery confirmation, a collection form with all the relevant details on it to print off, which must be exchanged for the goods, no other form of ID should be accepted. Then you just go at your convenience a short distance within your borough to collect your goods from the parcel drop off shed on your way home for tea. Simples... yes?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Just out of interest FE. Have you had your delivery yet?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

No, I haven't.

There is however someone in CitySprint's customer service department who is going out of her way to resolve the problem for me (take a bow, Abbi-Leanne), and I'm hopeful that I will be united with my package at some point tomorrow.

This hasn't been the courier's fault. It certainly hasn't been Amazon's fault, and to be honest I don't believe it's been entirely my fault, although I'm not completely blameless. It is, as they say, life being life. Circumstances have conspired against all concerned, and I believe it's an increasingly annoying occurrence, as I said earlier.

I've discovered one good thing though - CitySprint's customer service operation is excellent; you get real people sending you nice emails that are full of 'how can we help to make this better?' attitude.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear that FE. Let's hope you are re-united with a Kindle tomorrow or even earlier.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

By way of an update...

New Kindle now safely received and filled with books from my Amazon archive. My thanks again to Amazon and CitySprint for all their help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made