We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Parcel delivery - why is it such a problem?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am expecting a package from Amazon - they are replacing a faulty Kindle, and they played their part by despatching it the day after I spoke to them. The usual efficient Amazon service working as it should, until.....

The courier called at my house, and I was out. My wife was out, so a card was left - 'we'll deliver again tomorrow'.

The next day, I was out, but my wife stayed in for the delivery, except for fifteen minutes when she had to dash to the pharmacy. While she was there, the courier called. Another card, saying 'your package is being returned to Amazon'. A hurried email from me, asking for another delivery, resulted in a promise to redeliver on Saturday, and this time one of us will be there at all times.

I can't fault the courier (Thank you, Citysprint) or Amazon - we're the culprits, my wife and I, but we're not alone; apparently 12% of all home deliveries fail first time, costing the Courier industry (and indirectly all of us who use it) an estimated £1billion.

It's a growing problem and I was wondering - should those of us who regularly have packages delivered have a special 'package box' bolted to the outside of our houses, along the lines of the old bank night-safes?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

I don't think you should be concerned. I went to France for a week, and forgot to take a charge lead for the Kindle; the battery ran down. The Kindle then refused to charge, a message on the screen told me the battery was flat,despite being connected to a charger for several hours and the Kindle wouldn't start. It's not an unknown problem, and I tried all the fixes recommended by Amazon and various internet sites without success.

I called Amazon and they immediately said that they would send me a new one, despite the fact that my Kindle was way outside the warranty period.

It was despatched the next day, but I still don't have it, despite a promise that it would be delivered today.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

My wife's Kindle was delivered by the ordinary Postie who pushed it through the letterbox. The package was obviously of a size that allowed this, and we didn't have to sign for it.

It seems that some Posties have different ideas. We had a small package from Amazon yesterday that would easily have gone through the letterbox but he rang the bell. Another Postie will jam larger packages into the letter box then ring the bell and disappear before I get to the door.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

BT

Your remark about posties having different ideas, are very similar to my views. Only the other week I had a card put in the door, and seeing the postman across the road I went to collect the item. Even though he knew me and where I lived, he initially refused to hand over the item "because he was not allowed to". A long story, but it would seem that someone had reported him a week or so previously for leaving a package on his car seat, while he was completing part of his round.

But going back to Amazon, I have deliveries every week from them, which are delivered by Royal Mail, and are simply put through the enlarged letter box. Some of the items are 'Tracked' and have never required a signature. Most of the items come from a warehouse in Dunfermline Fife, even though there are Amazon warehouses and distribution points nearer.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

BT

My postman will routinely leave packaged deliveries in a prearranged safe place if they don't fit the letterbox and I'm out - that's not a problem.

The package I'm expecting isn't coming by post however, it's being delivered via courier (because the Amazon customer service department told me it would be faster), and it must be signed for.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

FE. Thanks for the information and the lesson is "I must not let my battery discharge fully". I have noticed that the Kindle does give a notice that it needs charging but about two minutes later off it switches. Not enough notice in my opinion, but then again I now know that I have to leap out of bed and put it on charge.

I suppose Amazon are quite willing to help as much as possible so that they get you back in to the habit of buying books again. I hadn't bought a book in years, but since having my Kindle I have bought an awful lot. They have got a winner there I think.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"They have got a winner there I think"

They most certainly have, everywhere you look seems to mention Kindle, even the local supermarkets are selling them.

But the question I would ask, buy now or wait a little later. Because what I see, is newer and better versions are becoming available or shortly will?.

Note for PCA--'Would mention that I was going to bold or italic the intro, but the icons for doing this on the page are missing, just blank boxes?'

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

The battery on my Sony reader that I've had a few years is beginning to fail. I've also noticed that when it runs down totally it can throw a wobbly and take an age to restart itself, and only when it's been on charge for an hour or more.

So I'm maybe going to replace it with a kindle as it seems a lot easier to buy the books from the Amazon system than others. But I notice that Sony's new model is now wi-fi too. Is there much between them now?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

QB

Whose double posting today?.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

I find that stuff from Amazon usually comes pretty fast by ordinary Royal Mail. Even when using the free delivery option I usually get stuff in a couple of days regardless of their 5+ days quote. My recent purchase was ordered on Wednesday at about 5pm and arrived on Friday morning.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Note for PCA--'Would mention that I was going to bold or italic the intro, but the icons for doing this on the page are missing, just blank boxes?'"

Note for spuds - as you can see, the Bold and Italic tools are working just fine. The problem may be at your end.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room