We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Parcel delivery - why is it such a problem?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am expecting a package from Amazon - they are replacing a faulty Kindle, and they played their part by despatching it the day after I spoke to them. The usual efficient Amazon service working as it should, until.....

The courier called at my house, and I was out. My wife was out, so a card was left - 'we'll deliver again tomorrow'.

The next day, I was out, but my wife stayed in for the delivery, except for fifteen minutes when she had to dash to the pharmacy. While she was there, the courier called. Another card, saying 'your package is being returned to Amazon'. A hurried email from me, asking for another delivery, resulted in a promise to redeliver on Saturday, and this time one of us will be there at all times.

I can't fault the courier (Thank you, Citysprint) or Amazon - we're the culprits, my wife and I, but we're not alone; apparently 12% of all home deliveries fail first time, costing the Courier industry (and indirectly all of us who use it) an estimated £1billion.

It's a growing problem and I was wondering - should those of us who regularly have packages delivered have a special 'package box' bolted to the outside of our houses, along the lines of the old bank night-safes?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

If DPD are delivering a parcel I get either a text message or e-mail from them with a delivery time slot of 1 hour and I even get the drivers name.

Up to now it's been brilliant, no more stopping in all day and I've even got on good terms with the driver for City link and now if I'm not in he even calls back a couple of hours later.

Yet some of the other delivery companies are under the impression that they are doing you a favour by delivering to you and you should stop in all day for their convenience.

Royal mail drivers are the worst, I've even had non delivery cards pushed through the door when I've been in and the other week one driver drove off as I was trying to get into my drive which he was blocking.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I get most of my parcels delivered to work but I still find companies that will only send to the card holders address so I have registered my card to both addresses.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Collection boxes.

One thing that was mentioned in one of the posts, was collection boxes. The Royal Mail will leave items at a Post Office for a extra fee, and you can collect the items at your convenience within Post Office opening times and days. But be warned, some Post Offices do not like this arrangement, if storage space is at a premium.

Also in our town centre, a couple of Asian guys have opened a place that will take in mail etc, for collection anytime between 6am and 10pm, 6 days a week, Sunday limited hours at present. This service, I would imagine would be ideal for people who might not be at home during the day, but I would think that for bulky items a car would be essential or a taxi costly. Not sure what they charge for this service, but it seems popular?.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

It is a problem, but if you were to try and erect a secure "box", just how big would it have to be? Furthermore, I doubt there's many (if any) couriers that don't require a signature on delivery. How do you overcome that? Maybe with bar reading equipment on the box, but who'd be prepared to pay the cost? And how would you protect it from vandalism?

Parcels come in all sorts of shapes and sizes - not to mention weights, so it's doubtful a "one size fits all" solution exists.

The real answer probably lays with the couriers. Why don't they deliver to commercial addresses during the day and residential during the evening? Costs I suspect. Particularly with contracts like Amazon, that in all probability screw them down to the last half p.

At the end of the day, it's the old story; you get what you pay for.

Maybe there's an opportunity for someone to set up local drop off points, open until midnight for collection. But with business rates and all the other associated costs, I doubt you could make the numbers stack up. Certainly, the customer would have to be prepared to pay more than at present.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

LastChip

Some couriers do or have started to deliver upto 9pm, by using local people doing it in their spare time for extra pocket money. I have had a couple of deliveries via this way. I think it was Home Delivery Networking Services, who are as a group HD, DHL Express, Yodel etc.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Maybe if they phoned in advance to your mobile number, to find if you were in or out would be a help. I know some firms do this such as plumbers and maintenance people. They also tell me they will be here in ten minutes etc. So maybe some sort of electronic system of telling them you are definitely at home would be the answer.

As for postmen well my son is one and works in the local office, so he picks up my mail for me and then calls in with it for his free lunch.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

If DPD are delivering a parcel I get either a text message or e-mail from them with a delivery time slot of 1 hour and I even get the drivers name

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/16/speakers-corner/4155041/parcel-delivery--why-is-it-such-a-problem/?ob=datea&pn=3#ixzz1zxS4fsE1

I agree completely. With DPD I have never missed a delivery. Couriers should try harder and improve their system of delivery. Not everyone can wait all day!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Snec

"I don't find it a problem at all because when a parcel is due we always ensure someone stays in."

Yes, that's the ideal situation, but increasingly, everyone in a household works, and it isn't possible to ensure that someone sits in a house all day, waiting for a delivery, especially if - like me - people get quite a few parcel deliveries.

I've already made the point that my wife and I were at fault - I'm not blaming either the courier or Amazon. I was simply highlighting the fact that this is an increasing problem - more and more courier deliveries are failing because people aren't able to wait in all day. My wife has in fact waited in the house all day today for the courier's third attempt to deliver - arranged by email yesterday - and of course sod's law has so far operated. The courier has not yet turned up, and there is half an hour to go before they cease deliveries for the day.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Have they been yet?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

FE. I may be being a bit too nosey, also hope I am not changing the thread too much. But how did your Kindle become faulty? I know you have had one a long time compared to mine, but wondered if it is maybe going to develop in mine?

I was thinking of upgrading to the 3G one sometime in the near future and handing this one to a member of my family. I was also wondering if perhaps you had changed for a different model and found that faulty?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...