We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thousands will lose Internet on Monday?

onionskin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Should we be concerned? read this. The link on the page to the DNS Changer Check-UP doesn't work for me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thank you for posting about this. Should we be concerned? Not unduly, unless you have reason to suspect that your computer may be infected. If it was, your anti-virus software may have been disabled, or you might have noticed your web browser running much more slowly than normal.

Better safe than sorry, and you can check to see if your machine is OK by clicking here Let the site run the test and tell you if you need to worry.

Like this post  
onionskin

Likes # 0

I was wondering why I hadn't read anything about it, it's mentioned here and here. I should pay attention.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

FE

Thanks for the link - mine got a lovely Green tick!

Cheers.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The Register have been covering this for a while.

When the FBI turn off their DNS mirror on Monday there's computers in several large companies and US Government departments will be in trouble.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When I see reports like this, I think of the Millennium Bug scare?.

The story and checker facilities have been around for some time now, its just possible that people haven't taken much notice about it?.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Onionskin

Thank you too, and to the FE for posting the link which also got me a green tick.

I had read about this some time ago but I must say I didn't give it a lot of attention as I thought I was fully protected. Nice and reassuring to know that I am. I recommend this very quick test to everyone.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Quote "When the FBI turn off their DNS mirror on Monday there's computers in several large companies and US Government departments will be in trouble." What astounds me particularly where the Americans are concerned is all the "Jumping up and Down" they do to extradite computer geeks who have hacked into their systems. If a geek can do it the Russians, the Chinese the UK and Old Uncle Tom Cobly and all will have no problem. They must have lax protection. Most businesses keep quiet if hacked and offer jobs to the geeks to advise how it was achieved and help to protect their systems in the future.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

spuds Millennium Bug scare that was due to BIOS not supporting it, not a virus

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

I've bookmarked the test page, should we run it regularly?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Toneman

No real need, your anti-virus will pick up any new infection (providing you keep it updated)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback