We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New neighbours...into the unknown.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

I live in a block of flats (8), and recently 2 flats have been vacated.

The newcomers will inject a bit of new life into the 'close'.

The 'moving in' processes have just begun.

Thankfully, my flat is situated on a different level.

Why am I having territorial pangs, just like nesting birds have?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Update:- Six GHA men (grasscutters (heavy-duty),strimmer personnel,grass-blowers,weed-removers arrived this morning to tidy-up a 5m X 3m patch of overgrown grass at rear of flat) for the new neighbour's arrival on Monday. 5 minutes....well done guys!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'm going out to do some shopping for 60 sturdy rubble bags as my new neighbour on ground-floor below me has complained about my plant pots and overhanging garden hose.

I've just been delivered an ultimatum warning letter (7 days to clear everything) from local housing, this morning.

C'est la vie.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Your balcony did sound a little overloaded.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...there's still room for a pot or two.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...fortunately, I can deposit the 20 or so big pots' full of earth to the ground around two big trees nearby...I have already started that process...10 pots to go.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I.m sorry to hear that. HB.

I know your "gardening" gave you a great deal of pleasure.

Have you thought about an allotment?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks morddwyd, an allotment is too much hard work as I have a dodgy knee and back. Fortunately my balcony will be able to accomodate about a third of the plant containers situated at the rear of my flat... my intention is to completely clear that area of plants, as I now have no way of watering them.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Have they removed your watering can as well?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I now have no way of watering them."

Could you not go for drought-resistant plants, and let them take their chances? Think about it - all of those plants evolved with nobody watering them, and they're still with us. if you avoid terracotta pots, and go for plastic or glazed ones instead the soil wouldn't dry out so rapidly.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - thanks for that tip; as the growing season is nearly over anyway I would have been doing a major 'pot overhaul' as a matter of course.

Bing.alau - the watering-can method wouldn't be practical in the summer months.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014