We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New neighbours...into the unknown.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

I live in a block of flats (8), and recently 2 flats have been vacated.

The newcomers will inject a bit of new life into the 'close'.

The 'moving in' processes have just begun.

Thankfully, my flat is situated on a different level.

Why am I having territorial pangs, just like nesting birds have?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

AitchBEE. Good, I wonder how long they will remain that way?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bingalau....B M M M B M MMMM MBMMM MBMMMM!

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

We got new neighbours 18 months ago after the old dear who lived in the house was taken into care.

Initial meeting and introductions went well, informed me they had no plans to do anything structurally to the property as the guy is long term sick and the woman is a part time cleaner. "We don't have any money to do anything and, we are happy with the way the house is"

If only.... All the plaster taken off every wall in the house over a 4 month period, walls knocked down internally and rebuilt, then knocked down again. Floors lifted and renewed. New kitchen built (took longer to build than the great wall of China). Chimney breasts demolished without permission contravening party wall act so had to rebuild one, then got permission so knocked it down again, garden fence pulled down and rebuilt on one side then added height to another fence with different timber. Front garden dug up and and relaid with tarmac, dug up to fit cable TV so relaid again. New windows put in front bays, new front door fitted. Garage doors sanded down over 2 week period with electric sander every day. Garage doors painted. Garage doors taken off and new up and over garage door fitted???? Rear patio area lifted and dug over to make flower beds. Flower beds dug up and patio area reinstalled. Patio area dug up again and new type of slabs fitted. Rear dinning room window replaced.New rear dinning room window removed and replaced with French doors. Most of the above works carried out by male householder registered permanent sick with the exception of new kitchen extension. Works timed to coincide with the days I go to bed when on night shift (does bugger all when I am not on nightshift) Last week contractor arrived to replace guttering on rear of property. My wife asked me. " I wonder why he is getting someone else to do that job?" My answer "because he can't use his bloody hammer fitting it"

Love thy neighbour!!!! Not bloody likely.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

al's left peg

Looks like they are planning to stay then?.

Depending on how long term sick you are, and what the illness is, then they might even be getting grant's from the council or elsewhere for some of the work being done?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Perhaps the days you are trying to sleep ready for nightshift he thinks you are out?

I would be seriously considering anonymously reporting suspicion of 'not sick' as is obviously capable of physical work. (Dept prob will put him under surveillance)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Update: It's still a 'blank canvas' in the ground floor flat... the council are 'doing-it-up' for the next tennent - I had a 'keek' (look) / 'squinty' thru' the living-room window this afternoon...the workers were applying new wall-paper.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Every time I see that new Advert for Go Compare I have visions of the FE standing at a window across the road from you with a very large yellow Carl Gustav on his shoulder...taking his hood off and saying "well it was time your neighbours had a new neighbour ;-)"

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...the FE will get a nice welcome. (he's just like a long-lost brother). (please don't erase, FE).

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Aitchbee,you seem to have a fixation with FE?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

tullie...I like to keep on speakin' terms...I've had a few red padlocks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......