We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New neighbours...into the unknown.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

I live in a block of flats (8), and recently 2 flats have been vacated.

The newcomers will inject a bit of new life into the 'close'.

The 'moving in' processes have just begun.

Thankfully, my flat is situated on a different level.

Why am I having territorial pangs, just like nesting birds have?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"I'd better watch my step..."

Depends on whether the dog is a lap-dog with a yapping tendency or one with a larger physical un-neighbourly attitude?.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

New neighbors may be thinking the same as you.OMG what have we done.

Or it maybe a couple of Rangers players down on there luck and have to stay beside you as that is all that they can afford now.

I had a bad neighbor who stayed across the road from me but my hopes were answered when he sold up and left.

Someone new is just about to move in and the way I see it they can't be any worse than the one that left.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

Nearly two years ago we moved in to a bungalow that is controlled - this is due to my wife's condition - the neihgbours are all elderly and know how to be good neighbours. - Our first winter here it took me nearly 3 hours to dig our cars out so we could get to work. - In return, through the winter my wife and I either do the shopping for them or take them to the shops.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

The old boy next to us finally went into a home last year and his relatives had problems selling it as he had not done much to it in recent years. They finally decided to move in themselves. For the past two months there have been drills going on every day as they dig up the floor to put in underfloor heating and they have at the same time altered the internal layout and stuck on an extension. Money seems to be no problem as the vast patio area is 1" thick welsh slate.

They are also installing a large hot tub in the garden so perhaps they might be party people. They will probably finish just before I leave so here's hoping for the best. Their builders have been very friendly and have been very good when they have been building a new wall down our boundary which is certainly an improvement on the old fence.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have never heard such a lot of moaning minnies in all my life - is it the North and South Divide? We moved from Essex to Devon back in 1969 and have lived in seven different houses and never had a problem with neighbours. On moving in we have always gone round to them and introduced ourselves and invariably been invited in for a cup of tea and a chat to discover that they are as apprehensive as us in acquiring new people next door. As far as we are concerned new neighbours mean hearing of other's lives and we look forward to it. Perhaps we are just nosey, roll on the next set of neighbours we say.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The old saying "No such thing as strangers, just friends you have not yet met".

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Not sure if it still applies elsewhere in the country. But it was once a great social idea viewed by national or local governments, that placing a 'problem family' among a host of 'good families' was the way forward.

We had a whole estate that had a reputation,every week the court reports in the paper listed numerous people resident on this estate.The council decided to demolish numerous houses on the estate & the residents were scattered across the borough.Unfortunately,the areas they were moved to were distant from the police station and before long one village became known as "downtown Beirut" things were so bad. The council then rehoused the trouble-makers in other areas & one by one these areas became scruffy & nobody would accept houses there either,unless they were friends of the trouble-makers.Presently,the council are issuing tenants with agreements that mean any repeated trouble & they're evicted(but the council don't seem too keen on actually carrying out evictions)The majority of the trouble-makers today are offspring of the 80's trouble-makers,who seem to accept their behaviour is unacceptable to others but gives them status amongst their cronies.I think I must've missed the appointment of a new magistate though,as a few months ago these trouble-makers were being given paltry fines of around £20-£50 & recently,these fines are several hundred pounds which admittedly comes out of taxpayers money but non-payment results in a jail sentence of several months(so their neighbours get some peace)instead of a few days jail.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The other flat has been occupied by a middle-aged man...who works for the local housing association...so that balances things up, a bit.Now, the available parking spaces on the road outside are now hard to come by, as there are already two designated [disabled] spots. I'm glad I don't have a car, now.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

AitchBEE. You might still have to button your lip though. Or maybe even better, stick a zip on it and keep it closed. Some older guys can be a problem too you know.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...my lips are sealed! (No comments please, FE)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen