We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I've stood as much as I can stand

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

and I can't stand no more!!!

Can posters please sort out the difference between lose and loose (loser and looser). The amount of times these two words are mis-used is staggering.

Lose - to misplace. Loser - someone not in the lead. Loose - not tight. Looser - not as tight.

Rant over Ducking behind parapet.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Pilot used to swear that when he was at full throttle on the Avons the airflow was driving the props on the piston engines, rather than the other way around!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Put the promotion back a trifle what old boy!"

D'you think so?

Perhaps that's why I was a quarter of a century in the same rank!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"I was simply letting him know that I was the original author."

Thank you. I appreciate the thought.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

morddwyd 50% of 40 years in my case, reached the peak of my career too soon!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Regional language can be a source of fun. I asked for a pint and a half in a hotel bar in Aberdeen years ago. The Barman thought that I was taking the mickey when I complained about what he put on the bar. Luckily I had a Glaswegian with me who intervened and explained the stupidity of the Englishman who did not know that a pint and a half was, well, a pint and a half.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The 'half', flycatcher1 is referring to, means a 1/4, 1/5, or in some pubs a 1/6 of a gill of whisky.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Yes,AitchBEE, but some of the drinkers mixed in with the beer, some drank it before the beer and some afterwards.

On that particular day we ended up at the Theatre Royal, near the Docks (?) in Aberdeen, a real linguistic joy for me, it was Glasgow Trades Week.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

From Wiki:

Scotland

In Scotland, a half and a half (a hauf an a hauf)2 is a dram of whisky and a half-pint of heavy as a 'chaser'.[3][4]

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

How about 'ect' for 'etc'? That jumps right off the screen for me.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"From whence."

It's tautology.

We don't say "Get thee to hence, thou varlet", whereas "Get thee hence" trips off the tongue a lot more readily.

Psalm 121 has a lot to answer for!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks