We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I've stood as much as I can stand

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

and I can't stand no more!!!

Can posters please sort out the difference between lose and loose (loser and looser). The amount of times these two words are mis-used is staggering.

Lose - to misplace. Loser - someone not in the lead. Loose - not tight. Looser - not as tight.

Rant over Ducking behind parapet.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

And there was I, thinking that 'throw in the sponge' originated from the boxing world.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

me too, FE.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

People who say 'I'm bored of this' have me reaching for the tranquilisers.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"we have Fighter Jets."

That's one that really grates on me.

Nobody says "a Hercules propeller" or "Helicopter Rotor".

The ultimate idiocy was a few years ago when I heard a (BBC) announcer say "a Spitfire jet"!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

There was a Jet Lincoln Bomber.

Many people, often those who should know better, interchange bought and brought. I bought a book and brought it home.

I and me is another grammatical error regularly aired on the radio.

I am getting too old for all this.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"There was a Jet Lincoln Bomber."

I know, I worked on it.

Got me into a lot of trouble

From another forum, but my copyright.

"My run of bad luck continued when some senior brass made an unscheduled visit late one afternoon (for RAF types, it was the AOC). We only had 4 aeroplanes, although I was really moving into the modern era by now, because one of them was a jet, two really if you count the Lincoln (derivative of the Lancaster) with 2 Avon jet engines (as fitted to the Lightning, Hunter and Valiant to name just a few) slung in underwing pods (You should have seen that go!).

We also only had a few parking slots, depending on what we were loading up with for the next trial. Of course the pilots knew us and we knew them and we all knew where the slots were and it was (fairly) common practice to meet the aeroplane at the turn off from the runway and walk in front of it, forwards of course, giving the occasional lazy beckon over the shoulder, until you got to the correct dispersal, when you changed to the more formal approach, where I pride myself I could bring a multi engined tail dragger in inch perfect.

One afternoon I was bringing a Lincoln into the far slot, about 200 - 300 yards up the taxiway. It was a beautiful afternoon and I was fairly relaxed as I sauntered up the taxiway with the Lincoln growling along behind me, but I gradually became aware that something was different. I thought a little and suddenly realized that the engine note had changed.

A quick glance over the shoulder revealed that the Lincoln had been stopped at the last intersection to give precedence to a Devon, a pretty little twin engined communications aircraft which was as delicate and dainty as every other de Havilland design, which was now following me. I didn't know about the senior brass on board at the time of course, but I was uneasy, and I swear that that pretty little aeroplane was more menacing than any Lincoln; how right I was! The brass were singularly unimpressed with my aircraft handling skills."

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

morddwyd. Put the promotion back a trifle what old boy!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

morddwyd Forum Rule No:3

Copyright - By registering for access to our web forum you agree that the copyright in any content you may post to the site passes to IDG Communications Ltd upon publication, and that we may reproduce any contribution in whole or in part any IDG Group publications, websites, or advertisements without further reference to you. We will not use your real name in any such publication without first obtaining your prior consent.

If you want to keep it yours, perhaps ask FE to remove your post?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

lotvic

I don't care who has it, but the FE is rightly concerned when we post large chunks from other sites, because of possible copyright issues.

I was simply letting him know that I was the original author.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

A good story morddwyd.

I heard that a USAF B50 pilot was very impressed with the Avon Lincoln. He said that he was cruising along at 25000 ft when the Lincoln formated with him and then climbed away. All this with two engines feathered.

A Merlin Lincoln wood reach 30,000 ft, just, but it took a long,long time.

Sorry FE we are at it again!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...