We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I've stood as much as I can stand

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

and I can't stand no more!!!

Can posters please sort out the difference between lose and loose (loser and looser). The amount of times these two words are mis-used is staggering.

Lose - to misplace. Loser - someone not in the lead. Loose - not tight. Looser - not as tight.

Rant over Ducking behind parapet.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

How many times a day do you hear on the BBC the phrase "you know"? Most "spokespersons" use it constantly, and it gets right up my nose.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I myself ....... Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhhh!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

One thing that annoys me is people who say 'I've put in my PIN number' - if you say it in full = Personal Identification Number number, it sounds daft.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Using "of" instead of "have" is becoming very common as in "should of" instead of "should have"

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

As irritated as some of us may be to read obvious errors in our language I don't believe that we should let it trouble us. With the rapid upsurge of text speak and the additional of largely imported non standard UK English words, our language is destined to become very different over the next two generations. all language are evolving process's it is just that it is evolving today for us very much faster.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

The spelling and grammar, on this site, is wonderfully accurate, compared to the postings on most gaming forums.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

My pet hate is those people who should know better - Journalists, TV presenters, etc., who don't seem to know the difference between

"BOUGHT" & "BROUGHT"

How many times have I heard Angela Rippon (and others) on Cash in the Attic say "We've BOUGHT these items to to auction." rather than "We've BROUGHT these items to the auction"

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I think that spell checkers are a major reason for so many incorrect words being used, and obviously you have to be able to spell to use spell checks

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Have you noticed the number of times the word amount is used instead of number?

Troops instead of Soldiers.

Many years ago we had Piston Fighters and Jet Fighters now, I blame the Yanks, we have Fighter Jets.

There are always rails at a Railway Station. Sometimes there are no Trains at a Train Station.

The RAF used to have Stations - now they have Bases and very few of those.

The English language is changing - it always has.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

On Radio4 this morning, I heard experts talk about the saying "To throw in the sponge" The saying 'originates' from an Ancient Greek painter who was trying to paint the froth or spit just at a horse's mouth...his paintbrushes couldn't just do the job.He was 'all-a-tither'. In desperation, he threw his cleaning sponge at his horse painting and 'very luckily' the thrown sponge, hit the horse's mouth. The painter was so pleased at the result.

The saying 'To throw in the sponge' usually means tranquility ensues.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination