We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I've stood as much as I can stand

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

and I can't stand no more!!!

Can posters please sort out the difference between lose and loose (loser and looser). The amount of times these two words are mis-used is staggering.

Lose - to misplace. Loser - someone not in the lead. Loose - not tight. Looser - not as tight.

Rant over Ducking behind parapet.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

One that gets me going is, When did the Word "Drawing" Change to "Drawring" as many pronounce it. as to Draw a Picture

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

csqwared - your initial headline post 'I've stood as much as I can stand' would give any translator of the English written word (into a foreign language) a headache....in the nicest possible way ;o]

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

AitchBEE See if this gets through - you like music, don't you?

Monty Python

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Personally it does not bother me when spelling is wrong as long as I know what they are trying to say.

I have a spell check on my computer and some words I just cannot get correct.I give up trying and just post what I think is correct.So far no one has corrected me and I would not expect them to do so.

I get words that the spell check says is wrong and I try everything to correct it and end up Googling for it and the way I had spelt it was correct but the spell check says different.

Never mind by the time they let you out of the padded cell the FE will probably have this closed.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

buteman Reminds me of a poem:-

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

thanks jb - I've now got (official monty python) spam on my laptop (saved)....I had to go from 'dial-up' to mobile dongle bb...but it was well worth it...going back to 'dial-up' now.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

The little/minor error that bugs me lately on here is the use of the word "as" when it should be "has". But of course others on here must have noticed it and said nothing. None of us are perfect, so we just have to gloss over these little things and forget them. Has long has we can read the sentence. It as to be o.k. Just like the spell checker poem above this will not show up either.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Very nice and I found a good way of reading it.

I kidded on I was Rabbie Burns and read it as he would have said it.

If you are Scottish you can read that with no problems.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"just a reasonable grasp of my mother tongue."

You should worry.

I can't speak a word of my mother tongue (well, I can sing the National Anthem and Calon Lan, but I don't think that really counts!).

Like this post  
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

If we're on linguistic pet hates the top of my current list is a phrase beloved of sports commentators :-

"It's a big ask "

ASK is a verb it has no dimension.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite