We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Higgs Boson search at the LHC

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

It has been announced that the scientists believe they are very close to discovering the 'holy grail' of particles known as the Higgs Boson. Further tests on the 'unknown' they have found are needed before they can be certain it is the missing link.

Reading the numerous comments at the bottom of the story page at the BBC website - story here- a particular response caught my eye. It comes from a 'Jamsie' at comment 415, which for possible copyright reasons I won't post here.

Just out of interest, I wondered if you would agree with the response Jamsie made. I certainly do. TC.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I told you I wasn't a physicist,and that I didn't understand what all the fuss was about.So as far as I was concerned,the money could've been spent on researching human ailments as then I'd be able to see a benefit if they'd developed a cure of cancer/AIDs or whatever.Simply stating it is a search for a mythical particle that some research bloke had given his name to,and now they are almost sure they've found it seems pointless.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

It might seem pointless to you, but research into the physical properties of the universe contributes to the sum of human knowledge. If no such research was ever undertaken we wouldn't advance as a species.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...