We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Higgs Boson search at the LHC

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

It has been announced that the scientists believe they are very close to discovering the 'holy grail' of particles known as the Higgs Boson. Further tests on the 'unknown' they have found are needed before they can be certain it is the missing link.

Reading the numerous comments at the bottom of the story page at the BBC website - story here- a particular response caught my eye. It comes from a 'Jamsie' at comment 415, which for possible copyright reasons I won't post here.

Just out of interest, I wondered if you would agree with the response Jamsie made. I certainly do. TC.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

"As I understand it, they are sure they've found it but they haven't finished all the checks to see if they've made a mistake."

They were statistically re-analysing the vast amount of data to see if the results were a coincidence or not. Prior to yesterdays announcement, the results were only significant at the 3-sigma level (i.e. the sort of probability equivalent to getting the same result when tossing a coin around 8 times in a row).

In general terms, experimental results are only considered to be real (as opposed to a coincidence) at the 5-sigma level (roughly equivalent to getting the same result when tossing a coin for more than 20 throws). I believe that the new analysis produced a value of 4.9-sigma for all the data, albeit that one of the two experiments being checked had a value of 5-sigma

....Sorry, blame a long-forgotten A-level Statistics course....and, if you're sad enough to want to know more about Standard Deviation, see here Wiki - StdDev...that should cure you :-)

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

"what does this higgs boson do?"

There is a pretty good in depth description here but in short it is part of the 'dark matter' of the universe that provides mass. Many of the reports also provide a brief description of its function.

Or if you wish to be flippant it is the antithesis of everything a dieter wishes for and is controlled by Darth Vader!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm...and, here I was a-thinkin' 'The Higgs' was / is / & forever shall be ....... 'The GOD Particle'.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

glad you understood that joke AitchBEE...

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Sunnytstaines

As I understand it, it has something to do with what creates the weight of things. But on the other hand it could be a hiding place for our bankers ill gotten hidden wealth :-}

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Now they (the scientists) have found the 'Higgs' will the demolition squads now 'move in' to dismantle the collider?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

The Large Hadron Collider wasn't built just to search for the Higgs Boson. It has six detectors, each of which is designed for different types of research.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

All those very fat women we see everywhere these days will be saying they suffer from higgs bosum syndrome then

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Now they think they have found the "God" particle do you think they will now point in downwards and search for the "Devil" particle:-)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Condom I will get in before AitchBEE and say it could be 'the Devil in disguise'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'