We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Higgs Boson search at the LHC

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

It has been announced that the scientists believe they are very close to discovering the 'holy grail' of particles known as the Higgs Boson. Further tests on the 'unknown' they have found are needed before they can be certain it is the missing link.

Reading the numerous comments at the bottom of the story page at the BBC website - story here- a particular response caught my eye. It comes from a 'Jamsie' at comment 415, which for possible copyright reasons I won't post here.

Just out of interest, I wondered if you would agree with the response Jamsie made. I certainly do. TC.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The white-haired scientists in front, 'cheering' [BBC pic], should dye their hair(s) black like 'Engelbert'...they must be over-the-moon...with worry!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I'm not a physicist,so they might as well be talking in mandarin.The money spent on this research could've been used to research a cure for human ailments.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The money spent on this research could've been used to research a cure for human ailments."

Glad you weren't around when they were trying to harness electricity.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

This is a link to the comment TopCat® refers to, and I agree with it whole heartedly.

The research at CERN is pushing many discoveries in other areas, for instance the World Wide Web is a direct result of CERN research as Sir Tim Berners-Lee developed HTML there as a way to link to documents across their network.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

"The money spent on this research etc"

The technology to develop MRI scanners and alike came directly from this kind of research. Mostly down to the work done on magnetism.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

This research opens the door at the sub-atomic level and stem cell research does so at the molecular level,these discoveries are essential towards progress in energy and medicine so R & D are of vital importance.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

My wife has already stated that her weight gain is down to the hidden mass of the Higgs Boson.

Being a coward, I refrained from commenting!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It seems that they're not quite sure if they have actually found it, just something which they think couldn't be anything else.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

what does this higgs boson do?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Everything in the universe except wash dishes, apparently.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback