We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eric Sykes dies at 89Yrs!

Nontek
Resolved

Likes # 0

A sad loss, they don't make them like that any more!

Condolences to his family!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I liked his 'dead-pan' humour, especially in his TV sitcoms with Hattie Jacques.Goodbye Eric.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Yes, I agree. He was a great actor but, like a lot of others of his generation, very much underrated

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I like the fact that he, and other comedians of his ilk, did not have to use foul language to make me laugh!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Yes I agree a very funny man.

My favorite was the Plank,I hope they show a few of his old programs on TV this weekend to commemorate his Life on TV and in Films.

Looks like he had a good innings and I am sure we will remember him for a long time.

Bye Eric.

Like this post  
Bingalau

Likes # 0

buteman. As you have written word for word what I was going to write, I can only add "God bless" and hope he gives them as much laughter up there as he has down here.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I liked him a lot, but I have to admit, I thought he'd died over 20 years ago!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

His best serious part was as Terry Thomas' sidekick Monty Carlo or Bust.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Also as the same sidekick in "Magnificent Men", but The Plank has got to be the all time favourite.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Eric and Peter Sellers were the original workmen pencilled in for The Plank, but Sellers had to jet off to Hollywood for a starring role he could not refuse. Eric writes in his autobiography:-

"...I was in the doldrums on a sailboat. Who could possibly replace Peter Sellers? But again I metaphorically lifted the dustbin lid and there was a yellow gleam of a daffodil. A name flashed in front of my mind, and two days later Tommy Cooper reported for duty. He was to take over from Peter and what an inspirational choice it was."

Taken from "If I Don't Write It, Nobody Else Will"...

It's a great read. (Eric won't mind me saying that).

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

One of the few comedians of the older generation I found funny,though The Plank doesn't even raise a smile from me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September