We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eric Sykes dies at 89Yrs!

Nontek
Resolved

Likes # 0

A sad loss, they don't make them like that any more!

Condolences to his family!

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

He'll be sadley missed,i have both the original plank and the remake,deadpan humour at it's best. I only wish some so called comedians of today would look at things like these and learn you don't have to use foul language and vulgarity and shout to be funny.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I've the same sentiments as the rest of you about him, great comedian who made a name for himself as a comedian and writer with out having to swear every 2 seconds.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

There was 2 versions of the Plank.Not sure if you seen both.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Grew up with The Man and a sad loss to comedy,his brand of clean humour is lost to many of this generation.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Wasn't he one of the Goons? I know it was mostly on wireless (sorry I mean radio). But I remember them all from that show.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Bingalau, he wrote a lot of the Goon Show scripts with Spike Milligan. One of the best.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Eric co-wrote the Goon Show with Spike for a few weeks...'cos Spike was finding a bit difficult to do the writing single-handed.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Macscouse...snap!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a bad word about Eric Sykes. He was undoubtedly one of the finest comedy actors this country has ever produced, and he seemed to be a nice man, too. It isn't always the case with comedians.

They played a clip of him on Radio 4 this afternoon, talking about the fact that he lost his hearing, and eventually got special hearing aids built into his glasses. He explained "For years on stage I was as deaf as a post - didn't hear a laugh, not a single laugh. Then I got these and realised I wasn't getting any laughs".

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - nice one, sounds like the late Bob Monkhouse's joke "they used to laugh when I told 'em I was a comedian...but they're not laughing now."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia