We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TV's obsession with flogging sport to death

Paddy

Likes # 0

I realise that there are a large number of people who just love watching sport on television, but there are others who either have just a passing interest or actually dislike sport. However the tv companies insist on flooding BBC 1 & 2 and ITV with football and now tennis. Both of these companies have a selection of other channels (BBC 3,4,5 ITV the same) which could be utilised exclusively for sport etc, leaving the prime channels to still broadcast the normal variety of programmes. By the way I am looking forward to the Olympics, but not to being forced to watch everything on every channel throughout the day and evening, most being repeats of the events over and over. PM

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

I like watching the F1 on TV but invariably miss out the first hour as it allows me to forgo the endless pontificating of the assorted experts bent on venting as much hot air as possible to justify their existence and just watch the race.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I simply dont turn the TV on,I dont watch soaps/sports(as I like rallying,& its on Dave[or was]which I dont get)or any other mindnumbingly boring food/dodgy builders/diy/cop/antiques roadshow clones.I do listen to the radio from the instant I wake until I go back to sleep as I used to have noisy neighbours so started playing the radio to drown them out and get an undisturbed nights sleep,although I've had this habit with the radio for most of my adult life and lived in many places,both quieter & noisier.Unlike TV,with the radio on I can read or do other things besides and not miss anything(though finding a commercial station that actually has a playlist longer than 10 songs is getting hard,and R1/2 plays music I cannot abide)Whenever the radio stations force me to leave it off,I will listen to my own music(CD/MP3 etc)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

When I had a bit of a spat with my next door neighbour [Verandah Issues], I resolved to play my radio 'full-blast, 'tuned' to Saturday Football commentaries...to sicken 'em. After half-an-hour of this torture, I had to turn it off....I couldn't stand it any longer!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good