We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this incessant rain getting you down?

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well it is me, and I'm sure many others as well, up and down the country.

It seems like forever when here in 'sunny' Cornwall we managed a complete summer's day and it's starting to get depressing. But then my woes are but nothing compared to the poor souls who suffered the atrocious flooding recently. I hope the flood waters never ever reach them again.

Whilst on the subject of excess water, can anyone tell me why the raised rain gutter on car roofs was designed out of their construction? My old Honda, I noted at the time of purchase in 1991, was built about the time that all cars were losing their guttering and opening the car door for access in pouring rain was a new, very wet experience if one didn't move rather quickly!

My poor wife came back this morning and, together with the car door's interior got a right old soaking before I could get to her in time. The car does indeed have slightly recessed rain channels but are next to useless if it is driven with the window slightly open. Braking or changing direction usually sends a shower of roof water cascading over and inside the glass. (yes I know, just change the car I hear you say! :o) Not quite yet I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I'm sure a recently made American film had cars with gutters, so why not us? I had heard some time ago that their removal was because of better aerodynamics and to cut down on wind noise.

Well. that's got that off my chest, so now I patiently await any responses from our learned members. TC. :)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Ahhh...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The wet weather is getting to someone?.

But on the Amazon-Kindle thread, I have reported missing bold/italic icons, I see the same is happening on this 'Reply to this topic' panel?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Strange, just opened page 7 to read my comments, and the icons have returned in the 'Reply to this topic' panel?.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

At last! - After 30.7mm of rain in the last 24hrs I can use my hosepipe.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Only 30.7mm, I see on yesterday evenings weather forecast that 93mm had been recorded in one place in the UK.

Outside my window at this moment, the sky looks very miserable. Better take the dog's for their morning run, before it begins to rain. The dog's hate wet weather, real wimp's on that score. At least this wet weather is keeping the snails, slugs and growing vegetation happy :O(

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

We've had very few nice weekends this year.

Last week we had tickets to see Elbow at Jodrell Bank, but we had to give it a miss, as my partner is unable to walk in mud, so that was £80 down the toilet.

We've got tickets for Latitude festival in a fortnight, so I hope it clears up of that's the best part of £400 down the same toilet.

What worse though is we have a shared septic tank here, and when it rains heavily our lake fills up and enters the drains, which then fills up the septic tank, so our toilets won't flush, and sinks won't empty...

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"Is this incessant rain getting you down?"

Having a 'finger or two' in the rainwear business, I'm finding it hard to keep the smile off my face, at present, I'm afraid!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

YES!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and spider9 must now be a money spider:)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I haven't had to water my potted plants on my verandah for about a month...usually a daily routine most summers.

Instead I have been routinely emptying the 'drip-trays' (black buckets with no holes in the bottom).(Glasgow southside).

Officially, it has been the wettest June on record in Britain. (when averaged out)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...