We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this incessant rain getting you down?

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well it is me, and I'm sure many others as well, up and down the country.

It seems like forever when here in 'sunny' Cornwall we managed a complete summer's day and it's starting to get depressing. But then my woes are but nothing compared to the poor souls who suffered the atrocious flooding recently. I hope the flood waters never ever reach them again.

Whilst on the subject of excess water, can anyone tell me why the raised rain gutter on car roofs was designed out of their construction? My old Honda, I noted at the time of purchase in 1991, was built about the time that all cars were losing their guttering and opening the car door for access in pouring rain was a new, very wet experience if one didn't move rather quickly!

My poor wife came back this morning and, together with the car door's interior got a right old soaking before I could get to her in time. The car does indeed have slightly recessed rain channels but are next to useless if it is driven with the window slightly open. Braking or changing direction usually sends a shower of roof water cascading over and inside the glass. (yes I know, just change the car I hear you say! :o) Not quite yet I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I'm sure a recently made American film had cars with gutters, so why not us? I had heard some time ago that their removal was because of better aerodynamics and to cut down on wind noise.

Well. that's got that off my chest, so now I patiently await any responses from our learned members. TC. :)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would't fit that bill, Bingalau, as I prefer people (foreigners) to stay away from Scotland. I am a xenophobe.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Does your voice sound like a xylophone?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

No...but Sir Patrick Moore is one of my TV heroes :o)

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Yes it is, rain rain and more rain is there no end to it, I am sorry but I don't wish to spend my days dodging around in a raincoat and muffled up as it it was November rather that July, I want to do the things that we expect to do in July such as tending to my allotment, having BBQ's and going for pleasant long hikes in the Yorkshire Dales.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

namtas

"I want to do the things that we expect to do in July such as tending to my allotment, having BBQ's and going for pleasant long hikes in the Yorkshire Dales."

Now you're talking. See you in West Burton, and we'll walk down to Aysgarth falls. Drinks in the Hotel bar to end the day.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

7.50pm on a July night, pouring outside and dark, lights on and central heating given a blast - yes I'm fed up too!!

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

West Burton ah, can we first have home made apple pie in one of them charming old fashioned tea rooms with real china and proper cream? I should imagine Aysgarth will be full flow at present with all the water that we have had lately.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Well just to cheer you lot up this have a look at this enter link description here nothing like a little top up to keep those moorland fires in check

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I prefer people (foreigners) to stay away from Scotland. I am a xenophobe."

I'll get m'coat!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...don't be silly...Welsh is OK.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia