We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this incessant rain getting you down?

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well it is me, and I'm sure many others as well, up and down the country.

It seems like forever when here in 'sunny' Cornwall we managed a complete summer's day and it's starting to get depressing. But then my woes are but nothing compared to the poor souls who suffered the atrocious flooding recently. I hope the flood waters never ever reach them again.

Whilst on the subject of excess water, can anyone tell me why the raised rain gutter on car roofs was designed out of their construction? My old Honda, I noted at the time of purchase in 1991, was built about the time that all cars were losing their guttering and opening the car door for access in pouring rain was a new, very wet experience if one didn't move rather quickly!

My poor wife came back this morning and, together with the car door's interior got a right old soaking before I could get to her in time. The car does indeed have slightly recessed rain channels but are next to useless if it is driven with the window slightly open. Braking or changing direction usually sends a shower of roof water cascading over and inside the glass. (yes I know, just change the car I hear you say! :o) Not quite yet I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I'm sure a recently made American film had cars with gutters, so why not us? I had heard some time ago that their removal was because of better aerodynamics and to cut down on wind noise.

Well. that's got that off my chest, so now I patiently await any responses from our learned members. TC. :)

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Just check back on what I wrote, FE, and you'll see a couple of smiling emoticons included. No serious moan was ever intended; just a true account of the continuous bad weather which, we're told, will be with us for several days yet. My garden also has phenominal growth this year and I've had to drain down several thousand gallons of water from the fishpond. Never had to do that in over ten years of residence here.

In the words of the British/French policeman in 'Allo, Allo' "Good Moanin" to all. TC. :o)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I wasn't referring specifically to you with my 'moan' remarks TC - we all tend to whinge about the weather,and sometimes my attempts at humour misfire.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Thank you for the explanation - just thought maybe you'd had a bad day or something. Off to the sack now - goodnight all.TC.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

For years I've referred to this area as Wet Cumbria,deliberately leaving out the S as it usually has the opposite of the rest of the country weatherwise,eg: you lot are melting in a heatwave & I'm sheltering from the rain only this summer it would seem our rainfall has enveloped the whole country.We did manage a whole week of sunshine but that seems so long ago(few weeks)that it might as well've been last year.It is really depressing me too,as I don't venture out very often & then only to clear my head and being unable to (I don't possess a waterproof garment,though thought I did with my motorcycle jacket which I found out leaks like a bloody sieve) I'm suffering more headaches than I've got pills to lift.Wish winter would hurry up and arrive as that's when it's driest(weirdly)My partner's fed-up too,the garden needs mowed and as soon as she unlocks the shed,the rain returns.I'll get some fun in a couple of weeks though,watching them try to fill the wall cavities with insulation in the pouring rain.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm suffering more headaches than I've got pills to lift."

I'm no doctor,Chegs ®™, but maybe you should see yours?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Raindrops keep falling on my head...but I ain't gonna stop the rain by complaining.

I personally prefer the rain, to too much sunshine.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It just wouldn't be British if we didn't complain about the weather, however I can see from the posters that it can easily be solved if we all moved into another members house for the duration of the monsoon season.

HB should pack up to Cumbria, Chegs to Scotland etc, etc...

But today I'm OK where I am in South Yorks, it's sunny spells with only a few heavy showers forecast that spider9's splendid rain apparel should deal with easily!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Macscouse

Sounds like my sort of trip.

When my bladder would still allow we used to up through Braemaer and the Lecht, across to Tomintoul thence to Fochabers.

Baxters for a coffee and pancake and back across Dava Moor and down as much of the old A9 as is still navigable, Perth, Bridge of Earn, and finish along the coast road from Newburgh to Cupar.

Tended to do it more in the summer!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I am beginning to suspect that we have a Welsman and a Scouser who are being paid by the Scottish Tourist Board. Seems strange that the Scots haven't got one of their own as a representative on here.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, it has been raining here, on South Coast, continuously over the last 30+ hours.

However, BT Broadband has just brightened my day, yes - I did say BT Broadband! A couple of days ago I had an email from BT offering me a Free upgrade to my BT Infinity, as it was Free I accepted the offer, I have just done a check and my Broadband speed has shot up to 60.31Mbps Down and 12.62 Up.

Well done BT!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July