We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this incessant rain getting you down?

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well it is me, and I'm sure many others as well, up and down the country.

It seems like forever when here in 'sunny' Cornwall we managed a complete summer's day and it's starting to get depressing. But then my woes are but nothing compared to the poor souls who suffered the atrocious flooding recently. I hope the flood waters never ever reach them again.

Whilst on the subject of excess water, can anyone tell me why the raised rain gutter on car roofs was designed out of their construction? My old Honda, I noted at the time of purchase in 1991, was built about the time that all cars were losing their guttering and opening the car door for access in pouring rain was a new, very wet experience if one didn't move rather quickly!

My poor wife came back this morning and, together with the car door's interior got a right old soaking before I could get to her in time. The car does indeed have slightly recessed rain channels but are next to useless if it is driven with the window slightly open. Braking or changing direction usually sends a shower of roof water cascading over and inside the glass. (yes I know, just change the car I hear you say! :o) Not quite yet I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I'm sure a recently made American film had cars with gutters, so why not us? I had heard some time ago that their removal was because of better aerodynamics and to cut down on wind noise.

Well. that's got that off my chest, so now I patiently await any responses from our learned members. TC. :)

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Having spent the best part of a week in 30 degree + heat i have to say that shopping in Clermont Ferrand 1 day ago torrential rain occured for all of 12 minutes,tried to do a Gene Kelly but the look on my neices face stopped me in my tracks,wonderful feeling though.Feel for those caught in floods though, fires and flash floods everwhere are an annual occurrence we can do little about.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Are you in your birthday suit Bingalau, or wearing one of spider9's waterproof mackintoshs...?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

daz60. Your post and the bit about "singing in the Rain" had me remembering being stationed in Singapore. My wife always carried an umbrella in the heat, but when ever it rained she would fold it up and do an impersonation of Gene Kelly skipping merrily through the puddles. I've just had a few tears remembering those happy times. Thanks for the memory...

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Yes I've finally had enough of summer and booked my tickets back to Thailand. I'm not going until the end of September but I had to do something to cheer me up.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Is this incessant rain getting you down?"

Not in the slightest!

Because of my vision problems sunlight is very bad, so the cloudier the better.

It is a bit unfortunate, I admit, that along with cloudiness all too often comes rain, but I am happy to put up with it.

It's an ill wind etc. etc.

My sympathies to all those who are dependent on fine weather for their living or leisure enjoyment.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'Not in the slightest!'

I wouldn't expect lousy weather to bother a Welshman living in Scotland in the slightest!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Up there this is known as Scotch Mist. Also I bet chub-tor just gets reminded of home on Dartmoor. I lived near Yelverton on Dartmoor for a few years and it was like this most of the time. Still a lovely area to live though.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

First we moan about a drought because we face a hosepipe ban. Then we moan because it rains and solves the drought problem.

Soon we'll be moaning because a heatwave is baking our lawns, or because the heat has buckled a railway line.

Then we'll be able to look forward to autumn, and a good moan about the fact that we had no summer this year.

Followed shortly by more moaning about something else.

Everything in my garden is currently growing like never before. I have the most luxuriant bamboo growth, roses that don't seem to know when they have enough in the way of flowers, and my grass is as green as that on the other side of the fence.

My glass is half full...of rainwater. No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

What rain? LHO and I went for a 120 mile spin today,leaving Nairn at 11am. We passed through Inverness heading south to Dores at the head of Loch Ness,and drove down the south side of the loch to meet the Fort Augustus road. We went over a 8 mile pass from Farr to Tomatin on a road that was no more than 9 feet wide, with steep drops, which took us 1500ft up. Down to the Boat of Garten just in time to see the steam train, and then to Grantown on Spey, and back to Nairn for 4 pm. One or two spots of rain on the journey was all we met and the burns were all low. A wonderful drive, with very few tourists daring to try those roads. Route maps available on demand!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Macscouse

That does sound like a wonderful trip. You were lucky - Wales and Northern Ireland have just had their wettest June on record, England experienced the second wettest June since records began, and even in Scotland - where the far north west was remarkably dry - it was the eighth wettest June on record.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?